Monday, February 24, 2014

Swim Workout- first time in a long time swimming

Day before yesterday I was out shooting baskets and running. Yesterday I did weightlifting. Today, for the first time in at least a year I think, it was swimming.

The swim went as follows:

Start Monday February 24 840 PM, End 940 PM; 60 minutes, at Waltham YMCA indoor pool

No unrecorded warmup activity. Pool used is 25 yards long, six lanes wide. Crawlstroke only stroke used. Always flip-turns at end of length of pool.

1 Swam 12.5 yds, rested.

2 Swam 25 yds, rested.

3 Swam 37.5 yds, rested.

4 Swam 50 yds, rested.

5 Swam 62.5 yds, rested.

6 Swam 75 yds, rested.

7 Swam 87.5 yds, rested.

8 Swam 100 yds, rested.

9 Swam 112.5 yds, rested.


I was never able to continue for more than 50 yds breathing every three strokes. After 50 yds, I always had to shift to breathing every 2 strokes. It just occurred to me, that given my limitations perhaps I should attempt to perfect breathing on EVERY stroke.

I remembered during the workout how, a level of breathing that would be gasping for breath as if extremely winded with the body outside of the water, is like easy breathing, when inside the water. I was thinking, the water holding up the lungs making it easy to breath when in the water, must have positive repercussions in terms of cardiovascular health, which balance out the negative effect of the chemicals used to sanitize the pool water in the United States.

I found it surprising, that I had more endurance today in the water, than I did the last time I went swimming more than a year ago.

The workout described above, was designed to: get me started developing the endurance I need to continue full speed for 50 yds; be relaxing and enjoyable so that I don't stop swimming; be a low-intensity aquatic form of HIIT; collect info useful for planning future swim workouts; provide variety in terms of energy expended during active phases and rest during rest phases. Practically speaking I give it an A. But if I was to criteria-tize stuff like how much effort I put into designing the workout, and the amount of skill or knowledge that went into designing the workout, I might give myself less than an A.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC