Sunday, February 23, 2014

2nd Gym Workout after Long Time No Exercise

For the first time in a long time, yesterday I was out shooting baskets and running. Today I was at the gym again; I had only about half an hour studying webpages on the internet to put together my schedule for what I was going to do; but I feel I came up with a good schedule for the 2nd day of exercise. I now believe that when you only have say a half an hour or less to plan you exercise routine, this can bring out in you good qualities as a result of which the routine you had little time to plan for excels the routine you spent many hours planning for.

The practice went as follows:

Start Sunday February 23 608 PM, End 735 PM; 87 minutes, at Waltham YMCA

No unrecorded warmup activity. I am left-handed.

1 Intention: Determine max number of reps of Olympic-style clean and jerk that can be done at minimum weight (standard Olympic bar by itself, 45 lbs). Result: 16x was getting near max reps I am capable of, given less than 1 second between reps.

2. 3/5 on: 1-dribble, 9' slant to right followed by quick basketball shots from 24' (pro-distance 3-pointer), right of center, shooting left-handed. Jr size 3 ball used so one uncounted warmup shot allowed. For the first time ever in my experience of YMCAs, a normal size basketball wa not available in the gym.

3. Intention: Determine max number of reps of Olympic 'Snatch' weightlifting exercise  that can be done at minimum weight (standard Olympic bar by itself, 45 lbs). Result: 12x was getting near max reps I am capable of, given less than 1 second between reps.

4. 1/5 on basketball shots from 24' center of court (pro-distance 3-pointer), shooting left-handed. Jr size 3 ball used so one uncounted warmup shot allowed.

5 Intention: Determine max weight I can lift doing Olympic-style 'Snatch' and 'Clean and Jerk'. Result: 95 lbs max for the 'Snatch'; 100 lbs max for 'Clean & Jerk'.

6 0/5 on basketball shots from 24' center of court (pro-distance 3-pointer), shooting right-handed. Jr size 3 ball used so one uncounted warmup shot allowed.

After the workout everyone in the shower was complaining about the shower-water not being warm.

The workout described above, was designed to: be suitable for someone who has not exercised for a while; fit into the existing culture in terms of sports played by persons at the gym; combine HIIT principles with weightlifting; be interesting for myself and others; produce information needed for further workout planning. I give it an A-, considering I had only 30 minutes to dream it up.

After the workout using the scale in the gym I found that I now weigh, unclothed, 187 lbs, at 5'10".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC