Monday, February 24, 2014

My High Status as A Weightlifter.a Surprise

Facts & estimates extrapolated from data available:

My weightlifting class is the 170-187 lb weightlifting class. USA Weightlifting ranks 592 US male weightlifters from #1 to #592, regardless of age-group, in my 170-187 lb class. The higher their total for the Olympic Snatch and the Olympic Clean & Jerk, the higher they rank.

31% of the US male population age 30-39 is in a lighter weightlifting weight-class compared to me. 52% of the US male population age 30-39 is in a heavier weightlifting weight-class compared to me. 17% of the US male population age 39 is in the same weightlifting weight-class as I am. 20 million US males are in my weightlifting weight-class.

My current max for the Snatch is 43 kg. My max on the snatch is equal to the snatch-max of Samuel Moenning, who USA Weightlifting ranks as #552 in the US in my weight-class, all age-groups included:

# 552 Samuel Moenning
b 1998 age 16,
snatch 43 kg
clean jerk 59 kg
total 102 kg
12/17/2011 Northfield, MN
coach CHAD ANDERSON

This despite the fact that: I have done the Snatch or Clean-jerk exercises on less than a half-dozen days in my life; as an adult I've been weightlifting on average about once a month; as a child I was below average in terms of weightlifting performance, and thin.

Sources-

USA WEIGHTLIFTING 2011 Men's Absolute Year End Rankings

Table 210. Cumulative Percent Distribution of Population by Weight and Sex:  2007–2008...Data are based on National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES). Weight was measured without shoes.
 
Age and Sex Composition: 2010 Census Briefs. Table 2,
Population by Age and Sex: 2000 and 2010. Sources: U .S . Census Bureau...2010 Census Summary File 1.

That I would (in the Snatch) equal #552 in the nation in my weight-class (regardless of age), out of 20 million males in my weight-class, greatly surprises me. I would have put more time into weightlifting if I had known that I could rank that high with practically zero practice.

Reasons I've been taken by surprise: the top half-dozen or so weightlifters are freaks compared to the rest of us, their amazing performances make us feel weak, though we are strong compared to the population in general; many US males have made me feel weak by way of their huge scores in bodybuilding-type exercises like the bench-press, exercises which are ignored by mainstream competitive weightlifting; the Snatch involves not just brute-strength  in the arms but coordination, quickness, strength of body; many men due to fear of injury, are afraid of doing the Snatch using anything more than light weights.

I realize there are many strong men who never bother with involving themselves in official competitions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC