Friday, February 28, 2014

Aquatics workout featuring New Original Aquarcises

February 24, four days ago, for the first time in a year I went swimming in the pool. Today I was at the pool again.

The aquatics workout went as follows:

Start Friday February 28 825 PM, End 935 PM; 70 minutes, at Waltham YMCA indoor pool

No unrecorded warmup activity. Pool used is 25 yards long, six lanes wide.

First 40 minutes:

At depths of 4, 5, and 6 feet, engaged in spurts of activity (interval-training style) involving: imitating the movements involved in the Olympic Snatch and 'Clean & Jerk' weightlifting exercises (involved getting as close to the floor of the pool as possible underwater in crouch-position, then exploding upwards); imitating the movements involved in shooting a basketball (also involved getting as close to the floor of the pool as possible underwater  in a crouch-position, then exploding upwards); imitate the movements involved in running (similar to a very slow inefficient dog-paddle type swim).

Next 10 minutes: Swam using two new swimming-strokes I invented on the spot. Stroke F28A: stomach down, body parallel to surface of water, use reverse-breastroke-type arm movement to propel oneself in the direction one's toes are pointing. Stroke F28B: stomach facing towards ceiling, body stretched out parallel to water surface, use arms to propel oneself in direction toes are pointing. Swam 12.5 yds using stroke F28A, then 25 yds using F28B, and then 23 yds using F28A. F28A and F28B intrigued me because I felt the arm-movements involved resembled the arm-movements used in the Snatch and Clean & Jerk weightlifting exercises.

Next 20 minutes: swam crawlstroke: 12.5 yds, rest; 25 yds + flip-turn, rest; 37.5 yds w/ flip-turn, rest; 50 yds w/ two flip-turns, rest; 62.5 yds w/ two flip-turns, rest. Much improved on the flip-turns. Last time I was doing the flip-turns with either left or right arm stretched forwards at the beginning of the flip; today I always had my right arm stretched forwards at the beginning of the flip-turn. I do better leading the flip with the right arm. I believe in ambidexterity but I also believe that after one has mastered a skill with one's favored arm or leg, one is better able to master the skill with one's clumsy side of the body. During the swimming, on the spot, I invented a breathing pattern that served me well, that I had never used before. It involves: alternating between breathing every 3 strokes and breathing every strokes; or, stroke+breath, stroke, stroke, stroke+breath, stroke, stroke+breath, stroke, stroke, stroke+breath, stroke, stroke+breath etc etc.

Never was so much swim-wisdom of such insight invented in so little time by so few.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC