Tuesday, March 17, 2009

73 minute 5-mile run using long & quick paces style: power of chant(?)

Monday March 16 I was too tired to run. Prior to Monday March 16, I had done six miles a day for six days in a row.

Reminds me of legends, symbolic to this or that degree such as: God created the world in six days and rested on the seventh day; Christ objected to the Jews around him making a big deal of criticizing him for healing people on the sabbath day.

Synthesis of the two scriptures: wisdom consists of resting for a day approximately every seven days, but this rest does not need to be on Sunday every week; use your common-sense synthesizing different scriptures.

It is pathetic how many so-called, self-professed 'Christians' and 'Jews', are incompetent in the art of synthesizing more than one scripture into common-sense wisdom when the synthesized scriptures differ from each other even by just a little.

Tuesday March 17:

Prior to the run footwear-wise I put into effect a recommendation I made to myself after the March 15 run. Keeping everything else the same, in the left shoe I increased the padding to the sides of and behind the heel by 8 m-wrap layers. The pad was shaped like half of a circle of 3 inches in diameter.

The recommendations I made to myself after the March 15 run were:

"Left foot: increase padding to sides and rear of heel by 8 m-wrap layers, make sure the padding is vertically low enough to have heel-tightening effect; or, adjust padding already on shoe to bring padding low enough to have effect...Right foot: no change
(http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/03/76-minute-5-mile-long-length-paced-run.html )".

Results foot-comfort wise:

Left foot: In the 3rd mile, slight numbness/tingliness in foot; in parts of the 5th mile, slight pain in middle toe. Seems heel still loose results in urge to tighten shoelaces, which in turn results in numbness/tingliness. The big toe being elevated with extra padding may be putting pressure on the middle toe which remains at a lower elevation.

Right foot: Slight numbness-tingliness and some discomfort in ball of foot area in 3rd mile.

Tuesday March 17:

I ran the round the block course again (1st 3rd 5th miles run, 2nd 4th 6th miles walked), using for the first five miles, the style featuring an emphasis on BOTH long-length-paces AND ALSO a high number of steps per minute , taking breaks to record split-times.

Time after 5th mile: 73:02 (99:15 - 26:13 subtracted for delays = 73:02), only 18 seconds slower than my personal record regardless of style, which I achieved on March 14, while using the style that emphasizes only a high level of paces per minute (http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/03/73-minute-five-mile-run-new-personal.html ).

Of course all styles of running I use, involve an emphasis on speed. Speed combined with this, speed combined with that, speed combined with this and also that.

Pauses were due to: being stopped by police/ambulance/fire-truck because someone called them because they saw me 'wretching' on the lawn by the sidewalk prior to starting the run; stopping to record split-times; removing layers of clothing that were too warm; tying shoelaces; re-entering the apartment to get another pen because I thought I had lost the first one.

At 3:46 PM approx half way through the first mile, I was interrupted by a cop in a cop car, who was later joined by the ambulance and the fire truck, because of the report of me 'wretching' on the grass by the sidewalk. I told them the truth, which was that I was 'wretching', because I had not put enough half ' half into my coffee.

The cop sort of reminded me of what the black-haired Nick Sarkozy Prez of France would look and act like if Nick Sarkozy dyed his hair a dark brown color. Dark brown hair color is ubiquitous in these parts.

The charming and personable (short, white, clean-shaven, dark-brown-haired, boyish, hobbit-like, good-natured, smiling) young man who was an EMT-type and rode in the ambulance ordered me to fill out this form, which I somehow was required to fill out if I wanted to avoid going to the hospital with him and the ambulance driver. This interlude took 9:58 minutes:seconds of time.

I had merely been coughing up and spitting out saliva and mucus on to the grass by the sidewalk prior to beginning the run; this was I knew for sure, because I had not put enough 'half 'n half' into the coffe I drank prior to starting the run, because I had run out of 'half 'n half'.

After the first mile ended, I thought I could not find my pen which I place on the waist-high brick ledge behind the park-bench by the sidewalk where I start my runs. I looked and looked, but I swear I could not see my pen anywhere.

I went inside my apartment to get another pen and to discard the long-sleeved shirt made out of the t-shirt type material, as my clothing had gotten too warm. Then when I went outside again to resume the run, there was my pen, in the same area on the brick ledge where I thought it had disappeared from, and which I had stared at looking for the pen. This break took 10:05 minutes:seconds.

How much effort a given person must employ to achieve a given speed over a mile varies from person to person. At the level of effort I was applying during the first mile run, there naturally resulted some mental fog, caused by the running not by drugs.

This mental fog could have been a cause of: I mistakenly wrote 'September' on the EMT's form when I should have written 'March', because in my mind I was thinking of how my calculations showed that at the current rate of improvement by September I will be at world record speed (also March temperatures are like September temps); I mistakenly wrote '08', for the year 2008 when I should have written '2009', probably because I do not have to fill out too many forms and I have gotten used to writing '2008' on forms; I could not see my pen on the brick ledge, then ten minutes later I saw it on the same area of the ledge I did not at first see it in.

I was outside 'wretching', and I chose the route of 'wretching' until I could start running instead of returning to the apartment to eat/drink stuff that would soothe my stomach. I did this because I wanted to prove to myself that I could overcome 'wretching' without eating/drinking/returning-home. This turned out to be a serious error.

Me simply 'wretching' on the grass by the sidewalk led to me being interrogated by the EMT in the ambulance and forced to sign some form, just to avoid going to the hospital.

Also there were 6:10 minutes:seconds of breaks after miles 2, 3, and 4 to record split times, tie shoe-laces, and discard yet another item of clothing, this time the second of the two t-shirts I started out wearing.

The entire run, during the run and also during the walked miles, I used the long-length-paced & ALSO quick-stepped style. For the entire 5 miles, I used the following chant (chanted in my mind not with my mouth/tongue):

'Long are our strides as we streamline the sky
Many are our steps per unit of time
Lord of Roads of Magnificence am I
Lord of Roads of Painlessness am I'

This is the original chant, the first chant that I stuck with for any length of time; it emphasizes BOTH long-paces and quick paces.

Mile split times recorded:

1st, run: 14:57
2nd, walked: 13:40
3rd, run: 15:20
4th, walked: 13:50
5th, run: 15:15

The footwear during the run was:

Left shoe:

lightweight removable sole that came with shoe +
foam/gel heel-to-toe insole +
8 layers m-wrap pad under big toe +
'toe bed' (forefoot gel pad for ball of foot and toes) +
8 layers m-wrap under ball of foot +
12 layers m-wrap pad under ball-of-foot & line between toes & ball of foot +
20 layers m-wrap pad attached to toe area of gel forefoot pad beneath big, index and middle toes +
NEW TODAY 8 m-wrap layer pad behind heel at base of heel+
40 layers m-wrap pad around sides and rear of heel
Adhesives: tape, not glue.
'Pretaping' type m-wrap used.
SHOELACES: medium to tight on top shoelace, loose on other shoelaces

Right shoe:
SAME AS PREVIOUS RUN

Lightweight removable sole that came with shoe +
foam/gel heel-to-toe insole +
'toe bed' (forefoot gel pad for ball of foot and toes) +
8 layers m-wrap under ball of foot +
12-layers m-wrap pad under ball-of-foot & line between toes and ball of foot +
20 layers m-wrap pad attached to toe area of gel forefoot pad beneath big, index and middle toes +
16 layers m-wrap pad around sides and rear of heel
'Multipurpose' type m-wrap used.
SHOELACES: tight on top shoelaces, loose on others

The temp was on average 47 degrees with wind at avg 4 mph during the run (5th mile completed at 5:19 PM):
(http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/wxStationGraphAll?day=17&year=2009&month=3&ID=KMAWESTO6&type=3&width=500&showsolarradiation=1&showtemp=1&showpressure=1&showwind=1&showwinddir=1&showrain=1 ).

Total sunshine again, not a cloud in the sky.

A long-sleeved collar-less sportshirt made of t-shirt type material, t-shirt, second t-shirt sleeveless t-shirt, visibility-vest, sweatpants, shorts, and headband were too warm.

After the first mile I removed the long-sleeved collarless sportshirt made of t-shirt type material. I continued to feel too warm. After the 2nd mile I removed the second of the two t-shirts.

I ran/walked the last 3 miles wearing only a t-shirt, sleeveless t-shirt, and the visibility vest on my upper body, and felt about right in the 47 degree sunshine.

Too much detail re clothes you might say, but sometimes the best solution is to start with a layer of clothing that is discarded during the run.

Advice to myself for the next run:

Left foot: increase padding to sides and rear of heel by 8 m-wrap layers again, again make sure the padding is vertically low enough to have heel-tightening effect.

Right foot: add 8 m-wrap layer pad behind heel at base of heel; or make no change.

In accordance with the rotation entered into the blog-record March 15 (http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/03/76-minute-5-mile-long-length-paced-run.html ), run using style "D Medium-length-paced, emphasis on paces-per-minute, no pauses to note split-times".

Chant to use, a NEW one:

'Many are our steps per unit of time
Great is our speed as we streamline the sky
Lord of roads of magnificence am I
Lord of roads of painlessness am I'

This chant emphasizes speed combined with a high number of steps per minute, and de-emphasizes length of stride.

Running tactics/strategy

Hard to judge how well the tactics employed today (chant, emphasis on BOTH length of paces and quickness of pace) worked due to the extra-long breaks taken half way through the first mile and at the end of the first mile.

Seems that the result today March 17 was very good in the sense of being only 16 seconds slower than my personal record regardless of running-style-applied, despite fast times March 15 and March 14. Fast times in the past have resulted in recuperation periods featuring slow times for runs during which I did NOT mentally chant in my mind.

The emphasis on length of pace COMBINED WITH quickness of pace that I applied today March 17, as of now I expect to be naturally slower than the emphasis on quickness of pace alone applied March 15 when I set the record that was 16 seconds faster than today. This because the emphasis on length of pace alone produces slower times than the emphasis on quickness of pace alone.
@2009 David Virgil Hobbs

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC