Thursday, March 12, 2009

77 minute five mile run; only 10 seconds of breaks during entire run

Thursday March 12:

Prior to the run footwear-wise I put into effect one of the recommendations I made to myself after the March 11 run. Keeping everything else the same, in the left shoe, I increased the padding in the heel area (behind and to sides of heel not under heel) from 24 to 32 layers of Mueller brand 'm-wrap', and tied the shoe-laces very loosely.

The recommendations I made to myself after the Wednesday March 11 run were:

"Left foot: increase padding in heel area from 24 to 32 m-wrap layers, continue with tube over big toe, tie shoelaces loosely. Also possible--replace toe tube over big toe with increase in padding under big toe from 20 to 28 m-wrap layers."
(http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/03/79-minute-five-mile-runs-couple-of.html )".

Results foot-comfort wise:

Left foot: During a minority of the total time of the run, certain discomforts were experienced: foot felt cramped; some insole pain; some calf pain. On the positive side: the heel was not loose despite the shoe-laces being tied very loosely; there was no numbness/tingliness in the foot; I did not have to stop to tighten the shoelaces; I did not feel sensory illusions of unevenness under the forefoot; there was no discomfort aside from what I've described.

Right foot: Almost perfect. Slight pain in line between toes and ball of foot and in ball of foot for about a mile out of the total six miles.

Thursday March 12:

I ran the round the block course again (1st 3rd 5th miles run, 2nd 4th 6th miles walked). Time after 5th mile: 76:57, 117 seconds faster than previous run (77:07 - 10 subtracted for delay = 76:57). There was only one ten second pause over the entire six miles.

One could argue that this run was superior to the run of Sunday March 8 for which the time was my current personal record of 76:15 (http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/03/7615-for-5-miles-i-break-my-personal.html ), because Sunday March 8, the total amount of time spent during the run on breaks during which I did not run was six minutes compared to only ten seconds for the Thursday March 12 run.

The footwear during the run was:

Left shoe:

foam/gel heel-to-toe insole +
CVS toe tube on big toe +
'toe bed' (forefoot gel pad for ball of foot and toes) +
12 layers m-wrap pad under ball-of-foot & line between toes & ball of foot +
20 layers m-wrap pad attached to toe area of gel forefoot pad beneath big, index and middle toes +
32 layers m-wrap pad around sides and rear of heel
Adhesives: tape, not glue.
'Pretaping' type m-wrap used.
SHOELACES: very loose

Right shoe:

foam/gel heel-to-toe insole +
'toe bed' (forefoot gel pad for ball of foot and toes) +
12-layers m-wrap pad under ball-of-foot & line between toes and ball of foot +
20 layers m-wrap pad attached to toe area of gel forefoot pad beneath big, index and middle toes +
16 layers m-wrap pad around sides and rear of heel
'Multipurpose' type m-wrap used.
SHOELACES: medium tightness

Note: on all the runs the shoes have contained the heel-to-toe lightweight soles that came with the shoes when I bought them. I wear these over the padded sole to which I attach the m-wrap and the forefoot pad.

The temp was 40 degrees with wind at 12 mph during the run (5th mile completed at 5:13 PM):
(http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/wxStationGraphAll?day=12&year=2009&month=3&ID=KMAWESTO6&type=3&width=500&showsolarradiation=1&showtemp=1&showpressure=1&showwind=1&showwinddir=1&showrain=1 ).

A sweatshirt, long-sleeved sportshirt, t-shirt, visibility-vest, sweatpants, & shorts, were slightly too warm. I wanted to get rid of the sweatshirt after the 2nd mile, but I realize the importance of doing the entire six miles with minimal breaks so I did not pause to get rid of the sweatshirt.

Advice to myself for the next run:

Left foot: leave things the same; or, remove tube over big toe & increase padding under big toe from 20 to 28 layers; or, simply remove tube over big toe; or, create new toe-tube with sides and top cut away, held in place with m-wrap. Continue to tie shoelaces very loosely.

Right foot: no change in footwear.

Running tactics

I enjoy jogging using long steps or paces; just as people enjoy dancing this or that type of dance, I enjoy, and feel relaxed and energized by, jogging using long steps. I find jogging using long steps to be graceful, majestic, like a ship sailing on the sea. Seems long-stepped jogging teaches the body how to maximize momentum, similar to a wheel's maximization of momentum.

Long-stepped jogging teaches the body how to jog using long steps, which ultimately could prove important in terms of speed. Speed is produced through a combination of length of pace and number of paces per minute.

I do not intend to completely cease from long-stepped jogging--however, I estimate that long-stepped jogging slows my speed down by about ten percent on the miles that are jogged.

I've noticed that when I have to speed up to quickly cross a street or something like that, I shorten the paces and speed up the number of paces per minute or per second or per whatever.

When I set my personal record of 76:15, I noted that the fourth mile was walked in 14:00, and the 5th mile was run in 15:20.

If I somewhat reduce the length of the steps/paces during the miles that are jogged, I should be able to get my time for the three miles run down to 46 minutes total. This combined with 28 minutes for the two walked miles would give me a total time of 74 minutes, 2.25 minutes faster than my current personal best.

Another major factor slowing me down, is that I tend to be 'lazy', slower than what is average for me, during the first 3 miles. This in part because, I go outside and just start running right away without loosening up.

I do not intend to begin to devote time to stretching exercises before the start of the run--I I want to treat time like a precious commodity. As far as I am concerned the first couple of miles in and of themselves, ARE the stretch/warmup.

My approach to the lazy-first-three-miles problem will simply be to remind myself to be perky during the first three miles.


@2009 David Virgil Hobbs

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC