Saturday, March 14, 2009

73 minute five mile run; new personal record using medium-length-paced style

Saturday March 14:

Prior to the run footwear-wise I put into effect recommendations I made to myself after the March 13 run. Keeping everything else the same, in both the left and right shoes, I increased the padding under the ball of the foot by 8 m-wrap layers.

The recommendations I made to myself after the Thursday March 12 run were:

"Left foot: increase padding under ball of foot by 8 m-wrap layers...Right foot: increase padding under ball of foot by 8 m-wrap layers
(http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/03/76-minute-five-mile-run-new-personal.html )".

Results foot-comfort wise:

Left foot: No complaints. Almost perfect. Started out with the laces tied loosely, but tightened them twice, because of a feeling of looseness in the heel. Most of the run the laces were tight at the topmost shoe-lace pair and loose in the other shoelace pairs. This caused slight numbness, tingliness, and feeling of unnevenness under the forefoot.

Right foot: Just about perfect.

Saturday March 14:

I ran the round the block course again (1st 3rd 5th miles run, 2nd 4th 6th miles walked). Time after 5th mile: 72:44, new personal record, 3:26 minutes:seconds faster than previous run which was also a new personal record (79:45 - 7:01 subtracted for delays = 72:44).
Pauses were due to: tying shoelaces; removing long-sleeved sportshirt; recording times after miles. I watched the 'split times' closely again.

The entire run, during the run and also during the walked miles, I used the medium-length-paced style. Prior to today I have been using (with insignificant exceptions) the long-length-paced style.

Mile, times for mile today using medium-length paces, (time for mile yesterday, using long-length paces, in parentheses):

1st, run: 14:52 (16:00)
2nd, walked: 13:57 (14:00)
3rd, run: 15:05 (16:00)
4th, walked: 13:45 (14:25)
5th, run: 15:05 (15:45)

The footwear during the run was:

Left shoe:

lightweight removable sole that came with shoe +
foam/gel heel-to-toe insole +
8 layers m-wrap pad under big toe (replacing toe tube) +
'toe bed' (forefoot gel pad for ball of foot and toes) +
8 layers m-wrap under ball of foot +
12 layers m-wrap pad under ball-of-foot & line between toes & ball of foot +
20 layers m-wrap pad attached to toe area of gel forefoot pad beneath big, index and middle toes +
32 layers m-wrap pad around sides and rear of heel
Adhesives: tape, not glue.
'Pretaping' type m-wrap used.
SHOELACES: Loose at start, tight at the top laces and loose in the lower laces after first mile. medium tightness most of the 6 miles.

Right shoe:

Lightweight removable sole that came with shoe +
foam/gel heel-to-toe insole +
'toe bed' (forefoot gel pad for ball of foot and toes) +
8 layers m-wrap under ball of foot +
12-layers m-wrap pad under ball-of-foot & line between toes and ball of foot +
20 layers m-wrap pad attached to toe area of gel forefoot pad beneath big, index and middle toes +
16 layers m-wrap pad around sides and rear of heel
'Multipurpose' type m-wrap used.
SHOELACES: medium tightness

I wear the lightweight light-blue-colored foam sole that came with the shoe over the padded gel & foam dark-blue & gray soles to which I attach the m-wrap pads and the gel forefoot pads.

Today I taped th 8-layer m-wrap pads added for the balls of the feet to the surface of the light-blue-colored lightweight foam soles that came with the shoe.

Except for a pad for the left-big-toe added yesterday, I have not placed any pads on the surface of the light-blue-colored, lightweight, removable foam sole that came with the shoe.

The temp was on average 46 degrees with wind at 0 mph during the run (5th mile completed at 6:55 PM):
(http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/wxStationGraphAll?day=14&year=2009&month=3&ID=KMAWESTO6&type=3&width=500&showsolarradiation=1&showtemp=1&showpressure=1&showwind=1&showwinddir=1&showrain=1 ).

A long-sleeved collar-less sportshirt made of t-shirt type material, t-shirt, second t-shirt, sleeveless t-shirt, visibility-vest, sweatpants, shorts, and headband were too warm. After the first mile I removed the long-sleeved collarless sportshirt made of t-shirt type material. The result was about right for the conditions.

Advice to myself for the next run:

Left foot: increase padding to sides and rear of heel by 8 m-wrap layers; start with shoes tied loosely.

Right foot: no change

Running tactics

Today I switched to using medium length paces, with increased paces per minute, overall level of effort about the same, and achieved a new personal record. Compared to yesterday, which was also a new personal record using the long-paced-style, the time was 4.5% lower, the speed was 4.5% faster.

Thus I now estimate that my speed using the long-paced style is 5% slower than my speed using the medium-paced style.
Meaning, I can still get a good workout, only about five percent slower than using the medium-length-paced style, using the long-paced style which I enjoy more.

The important new personal records over 5 miles recently have been (minutes:seconds): Feb 25, 79:30; March 8, 76:15; and, March 14, 72:44.

At the rate (exponential not geometric) I have been improving since Feb 25, I will be down to 55.2 minutes
in about 53 days, around May 7; and, I will be at the world record level for my age group in the five mile in about 201 days--meaning I will be at the world record level by mid-September of this year, about seven months from now.

I came up with the 5 miles in 55.2 minutes goal I set for myself by visualizing the two walked miles walked in 30 minutes and the 3 run miles run in 18 minutes; I adjusted for the disadvantages of running outdoors on hilly concrete-type surfaces. Perhaps it is time to revise this 55.2 minutes figure. I am walking the walked miles faster than I had planned or expected.

(relevant facts/links: 5 miles = 8047 meters; http://www.arrs.net/SA_O10K.htm )

Flashback: After I set my new personal record of 76:15 on March 8, using my 79:30 time of Feb 25 as a yardstick, I estimated (exponential growth/decline) that I will be at my 55.2 minutes goal by June 4 of this year, and at the world record level for my age-group by January 2010 next year (http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/03/7615-for-5-miles-i-break-my-personal.html ).

Tactically speaking where I am at now, is getting the speed for an entire walked mile (medium-length-paces-style), at the speed I am able to walk a mile at for half a mile.
Saturday March 14, I found that for the first half of the second mile which was walked, my speed was such that if I had not slowed down in the second half of the mile, I would have walked the mile in 13 minutes 10 seconds.

Cutting the time for the walked miles to 13:10 each would cut the total time by 82 seconds.

Getting the speed for the 3rd and 5th miles which I run up to the same speed the 1st mile was run at should cut another 26 seconds from the time.

Thus seeing that 82+26 = 108, I look to cut a couple of minutes from the time simply by speeding up my slower miles to the speed of my fastest miles.

Note that 82+26 really is 108, regardless of whether or not evolutionarily speaking, the parts of my brain that understand this evolved to the point where they could understand it because understanding such helped my brain to keep my body alive.

The ant may have out of evolutionary necessity developed the ability to ascertain that I who am giant compared to it, exist and am dangerous due to my huge size compared to it; nevertheless the fact remains, that I actually do indeed happen to, in fact, exist.

This with regards to the atheist fallacy that since man due to evolutionary pressures developed the ability to believe in God because believing in God helps man to survive, then therefore (fallacy) God does not exist.

There are a thousand different opinions regarding Prez Obama, but the fact is, Prez Obama still exists. This with regards to the atheist fallacy that since there are different opinions re God, God does not exist ('snatch note, Caesar, uh de implicit comparison between dee and da damn divine').

But I digress such is another topic. Point is that atheists, presuming themselves superior in logic/reason, spout out pathetic arguments that would never stand up in a court of law or in a science lab. Similarly the sports world understands how overconfidence leads to defeat.

All the running stats remind me that I have to get my super-duper software I wrote in javascript, that calculates exponential rates of progress, any root of any number, and makes very exact future predictions, into working order. The most dificult work on it has already been done.

Stuff like: turning my PC into an audio studio, foot-pads, podiatry, running, notes/blog-posts re the runs & footwear, runs resulting in natural attention to food, lack of appetite without alcohol--such stuff has all resulted in a lack of attention to computer programming in which I was reaching stellar heights of a type.

I find a problem is that once I am away from a computer program I have written for a while, it can be tough to go back to the program and figure out where I was and what to do next (in general my notes are too incomprehensible for me when I return to them after an extended absence). I guess if I approach it as a fun challenge, it won't be that bad...but such is again another matter.


@2009 David Virgil Hobbs

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC