Sunday, March 08, 2009

76:15 for 5 miles--I break my personal record by 3 minutes

Sunday March 8:

Prior to the run footwear-wise I put into effect the recommendations I made to myself after the March 7 run. These were:

"Left foot: increase padding in heel area from 16 layers to 24 layers; loosen shoelaces...Right foot: no change in footwear, be careful re soreness on outside front area of pinkie toe.
(http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/03/around-block-for-five-miles-in-eight.html )".

Results foot-comfort wise:

Left foot: slight pain under middle and index toes in first mile; numbness and tingliness almost completely gone for entire 6 miles; sensory illusions of unevenness beneath forefoot greatly diminished; sensory illusion of bump under right toe second half of run; heel a little loose throughout run.

Right foot: almost perfect no complaints.

Sunday March 8:

I ran the round the block course again (1st 3rd 5th miles run, 2nd 4th 6th miles walked). Time after 5th mile: 76:15, new personal record, beating old personal record of 79 minutes (rounded off to nearest minute) set February 25.

First 3 miles run/walked in 46:55 (47:15 - 20 sec break for tightening right shoe). Prior to 4th mile, 5:45 length urination-break; 4th mile, walked: 14:00; 5th mile, run: 15:20. Perhaps the 'urination-break' energized me for the 4th & 5th miles a little.

When I set my previous personal record Feb 25,
I noted that "I was forced to take an 11 minute break after the 1st mile, and an 8 minute break after the 4th mile" (http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/03/running-and-footwear-most-recent.html ). The amount of time subtracted for breaks was 6 minutes March 8, 19 minutes Feb 25.

I estimate that I would be 15% faster on a 'quality' indoor track such as Harvard's Gordon Indoor track center due to: being able to wear lighter shoes/foot-wear; the flat as opposed to hilly terrain; the trampoline-like nature of the track; the cleaner air; the way the pebbly surface of the track catches the shoes.

The goal I have set for myself is to get down to 48 minutes for the five mile course with the 1st 3rd & 5th miles run and the 2nd & 4th miles walked.

Accounting for the 15%, my goal could be said to be 48 X 1.15 = 55.2 minutes, for run/walking the outdoors road course on the very hard sidewalk and road surfaces.

At the rate (exponential not geometric) I have been improving since Feb 25, I will be down to 55.2 minutes outdoors on the road in 3 months. That would be June 4, just in time to render my services to the world's greatest baseball and soccer teams, and to begin to impress the world's greatest basketball and tackle football teams, prior to chickening out of playing tackle football due to the risk of injury. And that's not even taking into account that Feb 25 there were 19 minutes of breaks, whereas March 8 there were only 6 minutes breaks.

At the current rate of progress (exponential),
I will be setting the world record for my age group in 10 months, during January 2010, if I have enough food to keep me running that is. (see http://www.arrs.net/SA_O10K.htm ). To do this of course I would have to change from walking the 2nd and 4th miles to running them.

Seems like jealous people are out to get me. Looks like at the exact time when everything comes together for me, with me being on top of the world in a million different categories, everything will collapse on me as the economy collapses.

I don't see how I can survive and become a great athlete unless I morph into some kind of concrete-eating bacteria that is impervious to freezing cold temperatures. Then again were I to morph into a cold-resistant concrete-eating bacteria, I suppose I would no longer have the bodily structure that allows me to become a great athlete.

Survival of the fittest I suppose: the people in the cities starve and freeze to death, to be replaced by the superior cold-resistant concrete-eating bacteriummmies.

Advice to myself for the next run:

Left foot: increase padding in heel area from 24 to 32 m-wrap layers, or wear tube over big toe.

Right foot: no change in footwear.

The footwear during the run was:

Left shoe:

foam/gel heel-to-toe insole +
'toe bed' (forefoot gel pad for ball of foot and toes) +
12 layers m-wrap pad under ball-of-foot & line between toes & ball of foot +
20 layers m-wrap pad attached to toe area of gel forefoot pad beneath big, index and middle toes +
24 layers m-wrap pad around sides and rear of heel
Adhesives: tape, not glue.
'Pretaping' type m-wrap used.

Right shoe:

foam/gel heel-to-toe insole +
'toe bed' (forefoot gel pad for ball of foot and toes) +
12-layers m-wrap pad under ball-of-foot & line between toes and ball of foot +
20 layers m-wrap pad attached to toe area of gel forefoot pad beneath big, index and middle toes +
16 layers m-wrap pad around sides and rear of heel
'Multipurpose' type m-wrap used.

The temp was 55-60 degrees during the run
(http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/wxStationGraphAll?day=8&year=2009&month=3&ID=KMAWESTO6&type=3&width=500&showsolarradiation=1&showtemp=1&showpressure=1&showwind=1&showwinddir=1&showrain=1 ). A t-shirt, visibility-vest, sweatpants, shorts, was slightly too warm, seems doing without sweatpants would be better.


@2009 David Virgil Hobbs

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC