Thursday, September 29, 2005

Estimating 4-mile-run times from 1-mile-run times for training purposes

Comparing the world record time for the 4 miles to the world record time for the 1 mile, I estimate that you can estimate the time of a runner in the 4 mile run, by looking at his time per mile over 4 miles, and then multiplying that time by 0.88. Thus, one can estimate a runner's time in the 4 mile run, by looking at his time in the mile, and multiplying that by 1 divided by 0.88 which is 1.14.

Thus if a runner were to run a mile in 450 seconds, 7.5 minutes, one would estimate that he could run four miles at a pace of 450x1.14 = 513 seconds; and if the runner could run the 4 miles at a 513 second per mile pace, one would estimate that the runner could run one mile in 0.88x513 = 451 seconds...the math is correct the difference between 450 and 451 is due to rounding.

I needed to understand the relationship between 4 mile and 1 mile times, because I had a dream that the best way to train for the mile run, is to run four miles non-stop.

Experimenting with the treadmill at this or that speed over 4 miles, to find what pace you should run the 4 miles at, just doesnt cut it. For someone running at 4 mph, the 4 miles would take 60 minutes, it would be easy to end up with an over-exerted, overly painful, non-fun workout, especially seeing that running the mile is only one part of an intelligent athletic life. And all just to scout out what one's own tolerable pace is in the four mile run!

Why do excess running, when if you can run the mile at a decent pace you can be a decent player in lots of different sports?

The speed at which I can run the mile improves every day, it changes every day. Sept 27 I ran the treadmill mile at 4.0 mph. Sept 28 I ran it at 4.2 mph. The speed at which I can run the mile, and also the speed at which I can run 4 miles, changes every day at an uneven pace. I use runs of a mile to scout out what is a speed that is close to the best I can do. I would much rather use 1 mile runs to scout this info out than 4 mile runs. At the same time, I want to use 4 mile runs to train for the 1 mile run. Thus I need to be able to extrapolate from my speed in the one mile run, what my speed could be in the 4 mile run.

For example my next mile on the treadmill I intend to run it at 4.4 mph, 13 minutes and 38 seconds. If I can comfortably run that speed without going all out, I want to be able to estimate what speed I could comfortably run 4 miles in. My estimate would be 818 seconds, or 13:38 my per mile pace in the mile, times 1.14=933 seconds = 15 minutes 33 seconds, 3.9 miles per hour.



@2005 David Virgil Hobbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC