Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Inspiring productive relaxing sprint workout using facts about speed and a ball

I decided my next workout would be sprinting 20 meters touching the ball only with my alternating left and right feet, touching the ball every three steps. This workout, will enhance my skills for soccer, which is the team sport I am best at relative to other persons. I figure when it comes to team sports, I should first get into what I am best at relative to other persons. Then maybe I will get some respect, get to eat higher quality food in greater quantity, and be ready to move on to other team sports in which I am not as good relative to other people. I figured this fly with the ball over 20 meters workout also somehow has effects which increase my 4 simple no ball involved 40 yard dash time.

So I wanted to know what the world record is over 20 meters, I find this kind of imagery inspiring, and it helps me to pace myself. If I know that I am speeding along at near world record pace it becomes folly for me to struggle to go any faster. If I know that I am moving at a certain level relative to world record pace, that makes practice interesting. Interesting practices are better practices as the athlete performs better. Knowing how fast I am moving relative to world record pace inspires me, relaxes me, makes me optimistic. As a result I perform better during the practice and the practice does more to improve me as a player than it would otherwise.

I estimate that I would be moving at world record pace, if after first kicking the ball, I covered the 20 meters in 2.7 seconds ( http://run-down.com/statistics/100m_top_splits.php ). I estimate that I will kick the ball 4 to 5 times over the course of the 20 meters. If the first time I kick the ball forward counts as the start of the sprint (thus discounting the flipping the ball up prior to kicking it), there will be I estimate 3.5 subsequent kicks. On average if there are 3, they should come approx once every 0.9 seconds, if they are 4 they should come approx once every 0.7 seconds. Then you have to take into account the slower speed in the first ten meters. If the first kick the kickoff is followed by 4.5 meters run prior to kick number 2, and then another 4.5 meters are run prior to kick number 3, kick 2 should come approx 0.9 seconds after kickoff, kick 3 should come approx 1.7 seconds after kickoff, kick 4 should come 2.3 seconds after kickoff, and kick 5 2.8 seconds after kickoff.

Thus I know I am approaching world record speed, roughly, when kick 2 comes 1 second after the "kickoff" (kick 1), kick 3 comes 2 seconds after kickoff, kick 4 comes 2.5 seconds after kickoff and kick 5 comes 3 seconds after kickoff. So the formula for me to remember is an approx formula, one-one-one half-one half. The speed of the count could slow down whereas the rhythm of it would remain the same, two slow kicks followed by two twice as fast. I can always slow down the speed of the count to account for the fact that I am juggling a ball and have to come to a stop before I collide with the wall on the other side.

Notes
http://www.angelfire.com/ma/vincemoon/split_times.htm






@2005 David Virgil Hobbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC