Friday, September 23, 2005

Imagery in swimming practices

Imagery adds to the drama of practice, making it more exciting, rendering the athlete more motivated, and at the same time more optimistic.

For example, the last two times I went swimming (every other day) I sprinted 50 yards eleven different times. That is 550 yards, 1650 feet. I was wondering how tall a building that would be. Answer: it would be a building whose height ratio compared to the taller world trade center building would be 1.21 to 1.00.

Knowing that I am sprinting a distance greater than the height of the world trade center every time I practice, makes me feel optimistic, and makes me feel motivated, and relaxes me. If I am relaxed and optimistic about something this increases the chances of me succeeding in it.

I just look at photographs of the world trade center. I imagine a building 20 percent taller. I say to myself, Every day in 40 minutes swimming practice I am sprinting the height of such a building.




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Trade Center towers were a stunning 110 stories tall: One was 1,362 feet high, the other 1,368. The highest structures in New York, together they housed more than a thousand different businesses.



http://www.boston.com/news/packages/underattack/globe_stories/0912/Observers_say_fire_may_have_felled_towers+.shtml






--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



@2005 David Virgil Hobbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC