Tuesday, June 21, 2005

How I made fast progress solving back pain problems

My lower back had become afflicted by fairly severe pain, sometimes worse, sometimes not so bad, the situation being such that even when it was not so bad, simply standing up for more than a half hour would become painful. I have managed in just about ten days to make good progress in solving the problem, simply by applying my mind and using the info on the internet.

The back pain is gone now without a new mattress, and despite continuing to sleep on an incredibly messed up old mattress (holes and depressions on both side of the mattress and in the top of the box spring), simply as a result of me beginning to walk six miles every day, combined with consuming glucosamine chondroitin, vitamin C, gelatin, a mult-mineral pill, and zinc. Funny how people can never get rid of their back pain, when they perhaps could if they simply researched things and did some thinking.

The idea of walking six miles came to me in a dream, in which I was going six miles, alternating one mile walked and one mile run. But I got so out of shape that I have been just walking six miles a day with none of them run. In eight days I got my time for walking the six--on hilly sidewalks it would be faster on track--down from 2 hours 26 minutes to 1 hour 49 minutes. Looking at some of the literature my feeling is that it could be premature to start running every other mile before I can walk the six miles in 90 minutes, 4 MPH. I still hope to eventually run every other mile. My feeling is that there is something extraordinarily beneficial in doing this, because the body rests from the running while walking, so the body is exercising while resting simultaneously, while the miles are walked; this reminds me of how my high school gym teacher had us walk an eigth of a mile after running a mile. I think the fancy word for this kind of thing is hypostasis or something like that. At first my lower back and feet would ache towards the end of the six miles, but despite the pain I stuck with it and now the back pain problem is gone.



@2005 David Virgil Hobbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC