Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Soccer- a week of experimentation re different aerial-chip footwork/ballwork patterns

From December 24 to Jan 1 2013, on six different days, for a total of 10.5 hours, I practiced 9 different varants of what I call the 'Eagle' aerial-dribble attack pattern. These footwork/ballwork patterns all involve slightly different ways of chipping the ball up over a defender and then catching up to the ball.

By the end of this week-long time period, the performance on the average pattern had improved by at least 68%. I say 'at least', because: on January 1 I was only able to test 4 of the 9 patterns; December 24 the first day of the time period, only two of the nine patterns were worked on; and, all 9 patterns had not been worked on until December 30.

My intent was to determine which of the 9 alternatives produced the best results; but I was frustrated in this because of the rapid improvement. For example, method X today might be better than method Y was two days ago, but due to the fast overall improvement, it could be that method X today is not better than method Y today would have been if method Y had been done today.

Correctly breaking the 9 alternatives into groups helped me to produce correct ratings for the alternatives. The 9 patterns can all be classified into one of three groups: short range, medium-range, and long-range ( in terms of initiation point of attack-pattern, relative to defender).

At first, due to an emphasis on number of touches on ball as opposed to number of steps taken, I classified two superior-performing patterns whose performance is now equal, as both being short-range patterns. This led to confusion regarding which pattern is the best for short-range and which pattern is the best for medium-range.

Then when I realized that actually to be exact one of the two patterns is short-range and the other is medium-range, it became obvious that one of the two patterns is the best for short-range, and the other is the best for medium-range.

Had I not correctly resolved the short vs medium range classification issue, I would have ended up doing plenty of tiring, time-consuming, unnecessary experimentation.

The table showing my performance on the various patterns over the last week:

Eagle Aerial Chip Experiments December 24-January 1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC