Saturday, December 15, 2012

Soccer- Evolution of a Drill Designed to Correct a Weakness

I described in the blog-post, my mentally and physically hectic activity in soccer in the days after the Tuesday December 11 games, how I had to face the challenge of devising optimal drills to correct weaknesses detected.

'House' Pattern for practicing kick of ball at 45 degree angle to right contains text and graphic describing the first drill I came up with, for the purpose of practicing angled kicks off the dribble. The 'House' is the drill that occurred to me in the locker room and that I went on to try out first on Wednesday evening.

However I realized, that there are certain problems with the 'House' pattern: the ball has to be kicked softly at point A, or there will be problems collecting the rebound at point B; I am able to get off only about 4 kicks per minute when I run this pattern; for every kick I get off I have to run 18 yards; 6 of the 18 running yards are hard-running yards involving chasing after and controlling an angled rebound of the ball; the exhaustion of the running involved eventually reduces the kicks per minute rate.

Continuing to study the situation, sitting at my desk after the Wednesday evening practice, I was able to come up with a new drill for the purpose of practicing angled kicks off the dribble, that is superior to the 'House' pattern. This new drill I call, SLKR-2-low-RT.

When doing SLKR-2-low-RT I am able to get off 8 kicks per minute, compared to 4 kicks per minute doing the 'House' pattern. With SLKR-2-low-RT: the only running involved is dribbling 10 yards per kick, as opposed to the 18 yards per kick with the 'House' pattern; there is no urgent chasing after the angled rebound; I can kick the ball as hard as I want at the wall.

The kicks per minute rate is 100% greater doing the SLKR-2-low-RT; the yards run per kick is 44% less doing the SLKR-2-low-RT. I find there is advantage to a drill that focuses on angled kicks off the dribble ( SLKR-2-low-RT), as opposed to sort of equally focusing on three different things, running speed/endurance, dribbling without kicking, & kicking off the dribble ('House' pattern).

I already have drills that focus on conditioning and on dribbling without shooting an angled shot off the dribble. When a drill focuses on one thing instead of on two or three things, it can be used more efficiently to target a weakness or to build a strength. For example, if I am in a situation where I do not need to add conditioning work, but need to add work on angled shots off the dribble, the drill that focuses on angled shots off the dribble is a more efficient cure for the deficiency involved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC