Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Soccer- new variations of 'Eagle' & 'Wildcat' aerial-attack patterns tested

Saturday for 3 hours, I closely observed the events while I performed 'Wildcat' & 'Eagle' type soccer aerial attack dribble patterns (David Virgil's Blog: Soccer- detailed observations made of Eagle & Wildcat pattern aerial-dribble runs). Sunday evening for 3 hours I experimented with and observed two new variations of 'Wildcat', & three new variations of 'Eagle': Wildcat-C, Wildcat-H, Eagle-T, Eagle-S, Eagle-D. Monday morning over the course of four hours, I repeated new variations introduced Monday, and tried out three even newer variations: Eagle-S-SD, Eagle-T-SD, Eagle T-SD-NC,  Eagle S-SD-NC.

Sunday and Monday, based on observations made on Saturday, the goal was to compress the patterns, so that they would move me a shorter distances in-between touches on the ball; and, I introduced a helium filled baloon on a string tied to a marker-cone, floating 6' high, to represent the position of the defender who I expected to beat on the move. I realized that prior to closely observing my own movements, I had without realizing it, been covering distances between touches on the ball that were much longer than the distances seemed to be during the runs.

By the end of Monday:

For the 'Eagle' pattern, the distance from start of air-dribble pattern to point at which ball is moved over and past defender had been reduced from 23' to 9'. One of the ways this was done, was to eliminate one or both of the two touches coming before the chip which lofts the ball over the defender's head.

For the 'Wildcat' pattern, the distance from start of air-dribble pattern to point at which ball is moved over and past defender had been reduced from 14' to 7'. One of the ways this was done, was to use the initial chip with the foot to get the ball over the hypothetical defender's head, as opposed to using the second touch of the run with the head, to get the ball over the defender's head.

The attempt to compress the distance between the start of the run and the point at which the ball is gotten over the defender's head, involved impairment of competence. It is more difficult to chip the ball up over a six foot high obstacle 8 feet away from you, compared to such an obstacle 20 feet away from you. It is more difficult to, move forwards just 5' with the ball from touch 1 to touch 3 while keeping the ball above the ground and using the feet, and then chip the ball up and over a 6-foot high barrier, compared to doing the same thing but moving 13' forwards before chipping it up and over. The compressed distance leads to bodily awkwardness during the chip up and over the obstacle.

To better deal with the compressed distance of the air-dribble prior to the chip that is part of the Eagle pattern, I decided to try touching the ball on every step as opposed to on every other step during the preliminary dribble; and I decided to try the skipping style while doing this. This produced surprisingly good results (after a few initial failures) such as improved less-clumsy body-position during the chip after the dribble, compared to what was the case when the ball was touched every two paces during the air-dribble prior to the chip.

I feel confident that I will be able to rapidly acquire the skills needed to beat defenders using variations of the Eagle & Wildcat patterns. I may not always make the wisest decision possible regarding which drill to practice, but whatever the drill, I always improve at a fast rate.

On Sunday evening there were teenage boys sharing the basketball court with me without complaining about my cones and my baloon and my presence. I had been there first and I tried to stay out of their way. After the practice, one of the teen-age boys, an East-asian, said regarding me, "he'll have them". I agree with him.

Drills done in practice Sunday and Monday:

Sunday dec 23 445 pm - 745 pm

Wildcat-C
Wildcat-H
Eagle-T
Eagle-S
Eagle-D

Monday dec 24, 719 am - 1120 am

Eagle-D
Eagle-S
Wildcat-H
Wildcat-C

Eagle-S-SD
Eagle T-SD
Eagle T-SD-NC
Eagle S-SD-NC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC