Monday, December 10, 2012

Soccer achievements impeded Due to Team-mates Clogging up the Middle

Seems unbelievable and weird, but I think I heard a TV announcer the other day, mutter between his lines, "they're clogging up the middle".

Then I got to thinking about what has been happening on the indoor basketball court with the soccer games. I realized that my own team has been clogging up the middle, making it impossible for me to score.

When my team-mates stand around in front of the opponent goal, they bring the defenders assigned to them with them. The result is that my dribbling and shooting pathways towards the goal, become obstructed with both my team-mates and also those guarding them.

In such circumstances I could plunge ahead on a dribbling run towards the goal anyway despite the crowding, and perhaps enjoy a reasonable percentage of some kind of success (either scoring, or passing advantageously, or causing a loose ball in front of the opponent goal). Problem is that since the clogging-up reduces the success-percentage level, my going on the attack could result in people considering me to be someone who recklessly loses the ball on the dribble.

This clogging problem is compounded by the fact that when I move towards the clogged area of the court on the dribble, my team-mates tend to make the situation worse by not getting out of the way. They stand there, like a toll-collector on the highway, and expect me to hand the ball off to them. Whereas from the perspective of my team's success as a whole, I have the momentum as I approach the defenses and my team-mate who is clogging up the middle does not, hence he should get out of the way and wait for something like a loose ball or a shot-rebound. I have the momentum because if I make say a 30 or 45 degree turn, I will tend to be moving faster than whoever attempts to guard me.

To me it is just a matter of simple common sense, that when an indoor soccer team is positioned such that any of the non-goalie players can score by way of dribbling or shooting, this is superior to only two of the four non-goalie players out on the court being able to score by way of dribbling or shooting.

I've read that in top-level full-field competitive soccer, the teams that attack up the middle have the advantage over those that attack up the wings. But indoor soccer is different. The density of players per square meter is higher. The goal is smaller.

To illustrate the situation, I have created three pages containing graphics:

Un-Clogged Middle Example 1

Clogged Up Middle Example 1

Clogged Up Middle Example 2

Clogged Up Middle Example 3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC