Friday, June 16, 2006

World Cup Day 8

Notes From Watching FIFA World Cup Yahoo Highlights of Argentina vs Serbia, Netherlands vs Ivory Coast, Mexico vs Angola

Argentina 6 Serbia 0

Argentina goal 1 nothing special, looked like defensive errors, Argentinian got ground pass, shot grounder from 15 yds approx

Argentina goal 2 Argent One got ball in front of goal, heeled it backwards to Argent Two a couple of yards, Argent Two scored. Looked like the best team in Chicago or something scoring. But you could see, the ball passed backwards with the heel is a premeditated significant aspect of the Argentinian game-- Argent One passed to Argent Two and then ran towards the goal while Argent Two had his back to Argent One. Argent One was fully expecting the probability of Argent Two heeling it backwards to him.

Argentina Goal 3. Argentinian cut into middle on ground dribble, then cut towards goal, got shot off that was deflected by goalie, Argent Two shot in rebound. Argent One was key. What he did, the almost right angle cutting, reminded me of when I ran the ball back for a touchdown in touch football. All that Colin, who was a fast sprinter used to be as fast or faster than me depends on how far back in history you go, tried to tag me but could not. I got the kickoff, ran right at him, when I got to him I cut at a right angle to my right towards the sideline, when he chased me that way I cut again this time directly towards the other side's goal line. I scored a touchdown in touch style American type football, a great achievement. It;s because this kind of cutting can lose a defender. But I got the feeling that on this goal as on the others the problem was error by the Serbian defense. Seems Serb defenders are just not agile enough to keep up with Argentinian agility.

Missed Goal by Serbia. the Serbian was five yards in front of the Argentinian goal, the ball was a foot too high for him, he could see that--still he made a hopeless lunge at the ball with his head. It was as if he was afraid to use his foot or thigh on an air ball.

Argentina Goal 4. Argentinian crossed ball into middle, Serbian defender slid, stretched out foot, kicked ball into his own goal, while Argentinian near him (it seemed) pretended he had kicked it in. These goals remind me of Chicago high school soccer goals, offensive players getting close to the goal, passes rolling on ground, shots rolling on ground, I wonder, how did Serbia get to being ranked #44 in the world, with this defense that it has? Maybe they just can't handle certain types.


Argentina Goal 5. Argentinian #11 Tevez, was ground dribbling, Serbian slid at him as in sliding feet first in baseball; Argentinian put ball through the legs of the sliding Serb, and took his body to the left of the sliding Serb (Serb's perspective), reunited with the ball, after this another Serb raced in behind him, and the hero Argentinian, put the ball just in front of the Serb, I think with the inside of his left foot, and put his body behind the Serb who had raced back, thereafter had an easy goal. His second move on this Serb is a move I tend to often use in games when ground dribbling if I can get the chance.

This incident was significant in the sense that it shows, how sliding tackles are not just inadequate against the air dribble, but also, can backfire against the groun dribble.

The Argentinian was on the left wing side of the field, he was leaning to his right, his body pointing at the goal; he used the outside of his right foot to put the ball through the Serb's legs, managed to jump clear stay on his feet and get the ball behind the Serb.

The truth is, like this Argentinian did this time, many times I have put the ball through the legs of players who are like average college players and so dribbled past them0--I excel in ground dribbling the ball past people, I am smart in terms of my method of practicing ground dribbling when alone, but I rarely get the chance to ground dribble vs a real live opponent.
Still despite never getting a chance to practice against live opponents I got good at it. It has to do with: strategy, skills you can develop on your own if you apply your mind carefully to the question of how exactly one should practice dribbling when alone, balance, quickness.
The thing about the way I approach ground dribbling attack, I am ten times better when attacking with my left foot than I am with my right, though I have a good right for air-dribbling purposes. It's like people who can throw with one arm but not the other. The main difference is that when attacking with the left foot most of the weight of my body is on my right foot; and the reverse is true when attacking with the right foot. What I do ground dribbling seems easy to me, but then I realized I can't reverse things and do the same thing with my right. I sort of approach with the ball on my left foot, while leaning to my right or forward or to my left, and then explode this way or that at exactly the proper moment. What I found out in practice is this having the ball on the right foot while leaning this way and that with my body as I approach the defender, requires a surprising amount of balance and skill; maybe if I have the time I will be able to develop the ability to do it with my right foot while leaning (primarily) left (and also forwards and right), but then again it seems sort of vain, like trying to learn how to throw with your clumsy arm. Practicing air dribbling is alot more exciting, I have gotten to the point where my right foot is at least as good as my left when air dribbling, which could mean I could learn to attack on the ground with my right. This was all topical, related to Argentina's fifth goal, wasn't it?

Argentina Goal 6. Argentinian on the right (opposing goalie's left) got a rolling on the ground pass, dribbled it forward, shot a ground roller past the goalie, it looked like a good high school team scoring. The Argentinians were able to get close to the opposing goal and at the same time, the Serbian defenders were not too close to them.


Netherlands 2 Ivory Coast 1

Netherlands Goal 1. Penalty shot from 25 yds out. The Dutchman managed to get it over the wall of defenders and into the goal. It was the kind of goal that depending upon your attitude is either: a) a classic example of the incredible skill of men from soccer crazy nations who from the time they are one year old practice six hours a day while coached by a half dozen geniuses, with the ball swerving and spinning like an orbiting planet; or, b) simply a hard accurate shot, the ball just seemed to swerve more than it actually did (optical illusion), the spin on the ball was just the natural spin of a kicked ball--most balls spin--as for whatever swerve or curve was on the ball all balls curve and swerve at least a little by their very nature. Seems to me the goalie misplayed the shot, he played it as if it was a low shot when it was a high shot, but even when the goalie errs people will be talking about brilliantly spun swerving shots.

Netherlands goal 2. the Dutchman was wide open, on the left, in front of the goal, only 20 yds in front of the goal, he shot an easy shot from 15 nobody to defend him. Seemed to me the Dutchman was obviously off-sides. Hopefully factors such as the Dutchmen being more popular (?) with people with money to spend than the Ivory Coasters are, will not influence refereeing.

Ivory Coast Missed Shot: Ivory Coaster in middle with time and space on his hands, got open shot, he was dribbling to his right, shot with his right with momentum of his body, rocketed shot off Netherlands Crossbar from 25 yds.

Ivory Coast Goal: Ivory Coaster in middle right of field dribbled hard and fast from 35 yds out to 20 yds out, dribbling slightly to his right, shot rocket with his right foot towards Goalie's right near Netherlands right Goalpost. This Ivory Coaster had time and space given him by the Netherlands defense. He had a full head of steam before the shot, the angle was just right for a ferocious right footed shot.

Ivory Coaster got ball crossed to him in the middle, slow roller on ground, 20 yds out, shot sailed high and wide, I wonder if it would be easy to pick up slow rollers from the side and lift them into the air for a couple of yds "theatrics" before shooting.

Ivory Coaster 20 yds from Dutch goal, retreated five yds at angle to 25 yds away in middle of the field, swiveled to shoot, got off weak shot straight at goalie. Earlier a Korean had scored spectacularly on this kind of move. My attitude is that it might be possible to develop this kind of backwards swivel shot with 100 hours of intensive practice, but those practice hours would be better spent on other stuff.


Mexico 0 Angola 0


Mexican, Marquez, took penalty kick from 35 yds out, it bounced 5 yds from Angola goal, goalie deflected it off to side.

Mexican got bouncer crossed in to him in front of Angola goal, 15 yds away from Angola goal, shot on first volley with outside of his right foot (ball came in from his right), the goalie made a great save with outstretched fist on the ball. Nobody to blame here, the forward and the goalie both handled it well.

Mexican got ball on second bounce 20 yds from Angola goal with time and space, ball bouncing in same direction as he was moving. He grounded the ball and shot from 15 directly at the goalie. Seemed to me this ws an example of what happens when players are patted on the back for shooting the ball to the other side's goalie, and vilified for anything unusual such as getting a bouncing ball up into an air dribble. If he had air dribbled he could have easily lobbed it over the goalie, who had come out of the goal about five yards forward and in front of his right goalpast, in a crouched down position.

Mexican got air ball five yds in front of Angola's right goalpost. He stretched his left foot forward, volleyed it at least a couple of yds wide. Seems he was in a position to move around a little while air dribbling the ball before shooting. The ball relative to his body was in a position similar to where the ball is relative to my body when I air dribble on a sprint. The ball was lob passed to him by a Mexican about 15 yds behind him. Sometimes when doing the air dribble drill I catch up to balls in the air that are ten yds or more in front of where they last were when I kicked them, I can do lots of things with such balls. This was an example of Mexico creating the kind of situation that favors my style of play. Mexico, England, Germany have now all shown they can create such situations but at the beginning of this year's 2006 FIFA World Cup the teams did not seem to be creating such situations.



@2006 David Virgil Hobbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC