Tuesday, June 04, 2013

4 Year Old's Poem-- Poem I wrote as a Child

Decluttering my apartment, throwing out papers, I came across a poem I wrote when I was 4.25 years old, before I had ever been to the US, when I was living on the grounds of the Prince of Wales Museum in Bombay India, in the Director's Bungalow.

The poem was carefully typed up by someone, like a little book.  Back in those days I used to get respect, people used to type up my poems.

Luckily this poem survived the chaos my brother created in the house in Chicago; also it came into my possession despite my brother grabbing almost everything in the house for himself when the house was sold. Unfortunately, many photos of me, works of art that I created, poems I wrote as a child, did not survive the chaos my brother created in the house in Chicago.

I remember two other poems that were similarly typed up, that I now count amongst my childhood works of art that have disappeared. One was 'The Ghosts of War'. The other was 'My Little Butterfly'.

I'm sure the poem was my original work. I remember how life was in those days. My poems were committed to paper by helpful adults, but they did not assist me in the creation of the poem itself, they wanted it to be my work.

The poem consists of a number of stanzas, each stanza accompanied by a drawing by me (when I have time I might upload the drawings).

The poem was written by a child who had never been exposed to the Book of Genesis type creation 'myths', yet the poem resembles such 'myth':

THE BABY IN THE GARDEN

Once there was a little baby
who went to play in a garden.

There he saw a funny man,
and he threw the funny man, and
it became like this.

[drawing]

The baby saw a flower,
and he threw the flower, and
it became like this.

[drawing]

Then the little baby saw a crab,
and he threw the crab, and it
became like this.

[drawing]

Then the baby saw a shell,
and he threw the shell, and
it became like this.

[drawing]

Then the little baby saw a ball,
and he threw the ball, and it
became like this.

[drawing]


Then the baby saw a balloon,
and he threw the balloon, and a
mouth came, and eyes came, and
string came, and lines came all
around, and it became like this.

[drawing]

Then the baby saw two charkas,
and he threw the charkas, and
they became like this.

[drawing]

Then the baby saw a whale,
and he threw the whale, and
it became two whales playing.

[drawing]

Then the baby saw some balls,
and he threw the balls, and
they became like this.

[drawing]

Then the baby saw this [drawing], and
eyes came, and a mouth came, and
lines came all around, and it
became like this.

[drawing]


THE END




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC