Saturday, February 21, 2009

Feb 21 morning running shoes footwear experiment

The run I planned for the night of Friday February 20, did not get started until 450 AM Saturday Feb 21. Again I did the six mile course around the block, jogging the first third and fifth miles, walking the second fourth and sixth miles, timing myself after the fifth mile.

Morning of Sat Feb 21 the time was 82 minutes same as previous run. Previous run I had a day's rest, this run I did not.

I wrote the start time down on an index card with a pen, this was relaxing, not having to worry about remembering the start time.

I concluded back when I first ran/walked the round-the-block course of 5 miles in 89 minutes, that I was 1 minute faster on this course than I was on the Main and Moody St 5 mile course. 82 minutes over the five miles on the round-the-block course is real progress.

I remember the days when I would give up after running half of one block on the round-the-block course, due to foot pain and calf pain (around the block twice on the round-the-block course is a mile). Indoor soccer shoes without pads just did'nt cut it for long distance running on concrete, and my calves and the sole area of my feet were weaker back then.

But I did'nt give up and when I got to the speed where foot pain began to develop I persevered and patiently worked out a combination of carefully chosen shoes and footwear add-ons that have produced a situation that is better and better on a daily basis foot-comfort-wise.

What has been happening on the runs has proven that I was correct when I concluded that the reason I had reached a plateau at 90 minutes, not getting any faster than 90 minutes day after day, was that I was experiencing excessive pain in my feet running in the Adidas Powerline cross-trainers.

I was like a slick quarterback the way I figured out the problem and solved it.

Since the time I patiently began working on choosing shoes and then adding padding to the chosen shoes, my personal record time on the round-the-block 5-mile has dropped from 89 minutes to 82 minutes, which I consider equal to 83 minutes on the Main & Moody 5-mile, where my personal best was 90 minutes.

In the two weeks since my first day using these shoes Feb 8, I have dropped my personal best from 89 minutes on the round-the-block course to 82 minutes, an improvement of 8.5%; the 90 minute plateau at which I stagnated has been broken, and a new plateau of 80 minutes has been reached.

Whereas during the plateau phase my rate of progress was such that I could expect to get down to 48 minutes on the run/walk five mile in four years, after all the patient careful work re footwear, looks like I'll be down to 48 minutes in just two months.

Weather during Feb 21 run link:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/wxStationGraphAll?day=21&year=2009&month=2&ID=KMAWESTO6&type=3&width=500&showsolarradiation=1&showtemp=1&showpressure=1&showwind=1&showwinddir=1&showrain=1

Footwear today:

Left shoe:
foam/gel heel-to-toe insole +
'toe bed' (forefoot gel pad for ball of foot and toes) +
CVS 'toe bandage' (toe tube) for big toe +
pad made of 8 layers Mueller M-wrap glued to area beneath big, index and middle toes, glued to toe area of gel forefoot pad +
pad made of 16 layers Mueller m-wrap around sides and rear of heel.

Right shoe:
foam/gel heel-to-toe insole +
'toe bed' (forefoot gel pad for ball of foot and toes) +
pad made of 16 layers Mueller M-wrap glued to area beneath big, index and middle toes glued to toe area of gel forefoot pad +
CVS 'toe bandage' (toe tube) for index toe +
CVS 'toe bandage' (toe tube) for middle toe +
pad made of 16 layers Mueller m-wrap around sides and rear of heel.

As has always been the case thus far, the removeable insole that comes pre-installed in the shoes were also worn.

Note: Previous blog-post, I accidentally mis-reported that there were 8 layers of Mueller m-wrap in the pad glued to the forefoot gel pad toe area for the right foot. Actually there were 16 layers of Mueller m-wrap in this pad. Wrapping the tape around the hand eight times produces 16 layers, not eight.

Notable in the run today, is the fact that the pad made of m-wrap attached to the forefoot gel pad, was deliberately for experimental purposes, 8 m-wrap layers thick in the left shoe, and 16 m-wrap layers thick in the right shoe.

The foot-wear padding setup used today produced basically good results in terms of comfort except that in the second half of the fifth mile, which was run, discomforts were felt: slight pain in the middle and index toes of the left foot, slight pain in the line that marks the intersection between the toes and the ball of the foot in the right foot, and slight pain in the balls of the left and right feet.

I attribute this pain to the increase in speed that has suddenly come about for me, from 89 minutes to 82 minutes in I guess just 13 days. At the faster speed, certain areas of the foot take more of a pounding.

Generally I was pleased that today for the entire time except the second half of the fifth mile, I could run in exactly the style that comes naturally to me, without having to inhibit this style due to pain produced by the foot hitting the hard unnatural concrete surface.

How great it is to be able to run in one's natural uninhibited style on any surface including unnatural concrete--it's an underestimated pleasure and benefit.

People underestimate the value of such pleasures/benefits, because they have become indoctrinated into the idea that pleasures are expensive, as if the great pleasures and healthy things in life are all bought with alot of money.

For the pleasure of being able to run on any surface in one's own natural style, uninhibited by pain/discomfort, all you need is about $130 for running shoes plus about $30 for pads etc to put into the running shoes = total $160, plus patience with tinkering with pads. That's not alot of money but the pleasure/benefit is still there.

Logical next steps:

Increase padding in pad made of m-wrap for left middle index and big toes from 8 layers to 12 layers; add 4-layer pad made of m-wrap to line between toes and ball of foot on right foot; add 4-layer m-wrap pad to ball-of-foot area in left and right feet.

If this increased padding is implemented, there will result probably excess constriction of the foot and excess heat for the foot. As of now my long term goal is to combine such increases in padding with getting rid of some or all of the toe-tubes (or replacing the toe-tubes with thinner home-made toe-tubes). Currently I am wearing a toe-tube on my left big toe and on on my right index and middle toes. Maybe the upper part of a toe-tube could be removed leaving just the lower half of the toe-tube, held in place with m-wrap.

Today the glue used again was the 'non-toxic CVS School Glue Gel'; weak as it may be it served its purpose again at least for one run.

90 minutes after the conclusion of the run morning of Sat Feb 21, I was still wearing the shoes I ran in and there was no discomfort except excessive heat in both the left and right feet.

Running Tactics

Tactics Sat Feb 21 were the same as the previous day: counteract the natural tendency to go too slow in the first two miles; exploit the natural tendency to be loose and energetic in the fourth and fifth miles.


@2009 David Virgil Hobbs

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC