Sunday, February 22, 2009

My voice singing Dixie, first attempt at vocals

A couple of weeks ago on Feb 6, I posted ( http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/02/1916-audio-of-dixie-land-combined-with.html ) re 20 seconds of an audio of 'Dixie' to which I added three tambourine tracks.

Continuing the project, I added to the recording presented in the Feb 6 post: a vocals track made using the graphic equalizer reached through process-audio-graphic equalizer in the Sonar LE (Sonar Le has two graphicequalizers) set to the 'tambourine' preset I created and no other effects; a vocals track made using the fx settings I used for the low volume tambourine tracks; a snapping of the fingers track using no effects except the process-audio-graphic equalizer in the Sonar LE set to the 'tambourine' preset I created; and, a clapping of the hands track using the same fx settings as used in the low volume tambourine tracks in the first recording.

This is my first stab at vocals in a long long time. In India when I was about eleven for a year I took lessons in singing and tabla. Aside from that I was never trained in singing, seems like in grade school and high school the teachers and I all sort of agreed that I was not a singer and I stuck to the drums.

Memories re my singing: my boyhood friend Dr. Michael Gross tried to turn me into a rock-star; this Jewish girl Cathy Altman who was a friend in high school made fun of me singing out of tune (she said, 'it's like, strangers in the night', singing 'strangers in the night' out of tune, to describe my singing); my dad told me that I had a 'prosaic' voice; when taking singing lessons in India as a boy I had to sing loud and strong in the mornings but nobody ever complimented me; apparently Jews have some religious law that prohibits them from complimenting gentiles.

You can download the new recording by clicking on the following link:

Dixie+tambs+vocals+fingersnaps+handclaps recording

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC