Thursday, March 19, 2009

75 minute 5-mile run using quick paces style

Wednesday March 18:

Prior to the run footwear-wise I put into effect a recommendation I made to myself after the March 17 run. Keeping everything else the same, in the left shoe I again increased the padding behind the lower heel by 8 m-wrap layers.

The recommendations I made to myself after the March 17 run were:

"Left foot: increase padding to sides and rear of heel by 8 m-wrap layers again, again make sure the padding is vertically low enough to have heel-tightening effect...Right foot: add 8 m-wrap layer pad behind heel at base of heel; or make no change.(http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/03/73-minute-5-mile-run-using-long-quick.html )".

Results foot-comfort wise:

Left foot: Some numbness/tingliness in foot; some pain in middle toe. Heel situation improved, fairly tight with shoelaces loose.

Right foot: Some pain in big toe in 5th mile.

Wednesday March 18:

I ran the round the block course again (1st 3rd 5th miles run, 2nd 4th 6th miles walked), using for the first five miles, the style featuring an emphasis on speed combined with a high number of steps per minute, and a de-emphasis of length of stride, without taking breaks for the purpose of recording split-times. As a result the foot hit the ground differently than it usually does during the run/walk.

Time after 5th mile: 75:10 (84:40 - 9:30 subtracted for delays = 75:10)

Pauses were due to: removing layers of clothing that were too warm; tying shoelaces. I did not stop to record split times but used the stops made for other reasons to record split times.

My philosophy is that it is better to pause and discard an excess layer of clothing, compared to not pausing and pressing ahead while overheating in the excess layer of clothing.

For most of the 5 miles, I used the following chant (chanted in my mind not with my mouth/tongue):

'Great is our speed as we streamline the sky
Many are our steps per unit of time
Lord of Roads of Magnificence am I
Lord of Roads of Painlessness am I'

This is a chant designed to emphasize a high number of steps per minute and speed, while de-emphasizing length of strides.

Mile split times recorded:

1st, run: 15:05
2nd, walked: 14:15
3rd, run: 15:47
4th, walked: 14:23
5th, run: 15:40

This style of running apparently simply cannot compete with styles involving an emphasis on long strides, when it comes to the walked miles. It appears to be a tiring style fur the miles that are run. Nevertheless practicing this style, I now estimate, will produce increased speed in whichever style produces the fastest time for the five miles.

The footwear during the run was:

Left shoe:

lightweight removable sole that came with shoe +
foam/gel heel-to-toe insole +
8 layers m-wrap pad under big toe +
'toe bed' (forefoot gel pad for ball of foot and toes) +
8 layers m-wrap under ball of foot +
12 layers m-wrap pad under ball-of-foot & line between toes & ball of foot +
20 layers m-wrap pad attached to toe area of gel forefoot pad beneath big, index and middle toes +
NEW TODAY 16 m-wrap layer pad behind heel at base of heel+
40 layers m-wrap pad around sides and rear of heel
Adhesives: tape, not glue.
'Pretaping' type m-wrap used.
SHOELACES: medium to tight on top shoelace, loose on other shoelaces

Right shoe:
SAME AS PREVIOUS RUN

Lightweight removable sole that came with shoe +
foam/gel heel-to-toe insole +
'toe bed' (forefoot gel pad for ball of foot and toes) +
8 layers m-wrap under ball of foot +
12-layers m-wrap pad under ball-of-foot & line between toes and ball of foot +
20 layers m-wrap pad attached to toe area of gel forefoot pad beneath big, index and middle toes +
16 layers m-wrap pad around sides and rear of heel
'Multipurpose' type m-wrap used.
SHOELACES: tight on top shoelaces, loose on others

The temp was on average 49 degrees with wind at avg 2 mph during the run (5th mile completed at 11:57 PM):
(http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/wxStationGraphAll?day=18&year=2009&month=3&ID=KMAWESTO6&type=3&width=500&showsolarradiation=1&showtemp=1&showpressure=1&showwind=1&showwinddir=1&showrain=1 ).

This was a night-time run, no sunhine.

A sweatshirt, long-sleeved collar-less sportshirt made of t-shirt type material, t-shirt, second t-shirt, sleeveless t-shirt, visibility-vest, gloves, sweatpants, shorts, and baseball hat were too warm.

During breaks prior to the 3rd mile I removed the sweatshirt, baseball hat, gloves, long-sleeved shirt made of t-shirt material, and one t-shirt. Most of the run I wore only a t-shirt, a sleeveless t-shirt, visibility vest, shorts, sweatpants, which were about right for the 49 degree night-time run.

I was all layered up excessively in clothes, because it felly chilly outside when I went to Walgreens to pick up some stuff befor I started the run. Prior to the run I felt unusually gloomy, tired, cold, hungry. For the first day in many days the run got off to a late start, was a late-night-time run.

Advice to myself for the next run:

Left foot: possibly increase padding to rear of lower heel by 8 m-wrap layers again, making sure the padding is vertically low enough to have heel-tightening effect; possibly increase padding under middle and index toes by 8 m-wrap layers.

Right foot: possibly add 8 m-wrap layer pad behind heel at base of heel; possibly add 8 m-wrap layer pad under big toe.

In accordance with the rotation entered into the blog-record March 15 (http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/03/76-minute-5-mile-long-length-paced-run.html ), run using style "E Long-length-paced, emphasis on long paces, pauses to note split-times".

Chant to use:

'Long are our strides as we streamline the sky,
Far is our distance per unit of time
Lord of roads of magnificence am I
Lord of roads of painlessness am I'

This chant emphasizes speed combined with long strides, and de-emphasizes number of paces per minute.

Running tactics/strategy

Looks like contrary to what I expressed in the previous blog-post (http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/03/73-minute-5-mile-run-using-long-quick.html ), my fastest style is not the style employed during the latest run March 18 involving emphasis on number of paces per minute, but is rather the style involving emphasis on BOTH high number of paces per minute AND length of stride.

I now believe that the style of running I used when I set my current personal record (http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/03/73-minute-five-mile-run-new-personal.html ) was not the style involving emphasis on number of steps per minute (as I had previously believed), but rather the style involving emphasis on BOTH steps per minute AND length of stride.

March 14 when I set the record, I was not chanting; I believe this lack of chant resulted in the style implemented being a combo of length of stride and quick paces, as opposed to emphasis on quick paces alone as intended.

Style D, which was implemented March 18 during the latest run, is the same as style A, except that D does not allow for breaks simply to record split-times, but A does.

Style D produced today a speed 3.2% slower than my personal best regardless of style. This tells me that I can do runs while concentrating on high number of paces per minute, while decreasing my speed overall by only three percent.
Meaning in other words, I can still get a good workout if I run concentrating on high number of paces per minute while de-emphasizing length of strides.

Despite the unusual level of depression, fatigue, chilliness, and hungriness I felt during the day prior to the run, I was able to finish a productive workout. This indicates to me that it is a myth that if we happen to feel unusually low on a given day, we will be unable to perform a productive workout.


@2009 David Virgil Hobbs

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC