Friday, October 09, 2015

PC System-Boot Failure Solution Quick & Simple

Attempting to master the 'resolution' DPI/PPI aspect of photography, I downloaded 'ScreenHunter 6.0 Free' (support@wisdom-soft.com); I wanted to be able to find out things re the properties of a selected area of an image, such as area-size and pixel-count.

After I downloaded 'ScreenHunter 6.0 Free', I experienced terrifying PC-restart-failures. A couple of steps into the restart-process, the screen went black while a white cursor flashed in the upper left hand corner.  This re-occurred repeatedly after using the PC-button to restart the PC.

On keyboard I hit ctrl-alt-delete because such has at times solved such situations.  The twice repeated-result: a message in white font came on to the black monitor screen:

"Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS
Version 1.10 A05
Copyright 1985-88 Phoenix Technologies Ltd
Copyright 1990-2002 Dell Computer Corp
All Rights Reserved.
Dell System Optiplex GX260 Series
www.dell.com
Alert! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint [AUX]. For help in resolving this problem, please note this checkpoint and contact Dell Technical Support".

Sadly I envisioned expending loads of time energy money & suffering depression fatigue stress & boredom: unplugging the PC, taking it to the Chinese-American geniuses at Compustar, waiting, paying, bringing the big heavy Optiplex desktop PC back home, replugging.

But remembering that previously simply unplugging everything connected to the PC had fixed this kind of problem, & noting the 'AUX' in the reboot-failure-notice, I unplugged headphones, modem, & USB-port from the PC, restarted. The restart progressed smoothly to where I had to use the mouse to choose the account. I reconnected the PC to the USB-hub that connects to the USB-mouse. The mouse worked & I re-entered my desktop and was able to use the PC. Next I reconnected the ISP modem to the PC & regained internet access in 2 minutes.

I figure taking the PC to the repairman, bringing it home, reconnecting it would have (counting time as money) cost me ~$800, in addition to stress depression fatigue and boredom.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC