Thursday, October 17, 2013

My Ultrafast Sprint times indoors on basketball court

CREATED 10/17; MOST RECENT UPDATE 11/30


11/30 Saturday, 650-750 PM, Waltham Y.

Ran: 3 laps in gear 1 (slowest speed), 4 laps in gear 2, 3 laps in gear 3, 3 laps in gear 4; then did five 10-meter sprints. My Times for the 10-meter sprints (stopwatch started simult w/ start of running) in seconds: timing failure; 1.85, 1.95, 1.91, 1.84 avg 1.89 (wall 20' behind finish line, 2.5 - 3 minute rests between sprints). . This compares with the 2.32, 2.44, 2.38, 2.23, avg 2.34 (wall 20' behind finish line, 2.5 - 3 minute rests between sprints) achieved on November 5. Hence the average time today was an amazing 0.45 seconds faster than the average time 25 days ago.

For 25 days (seemed like less) prior to this evening, I had avoided exercise for various reasons: fall turned to winter suddenly bringing on very cold weather; I had to endure the constant shouting of a person who I find usually tires me out to the point where for several days I feel too tired to exercise; I put time and energy into learning how to operate a complex digital camera; my level of self-discipline in terms of healthy habits  declined.

When I finally managed to drag myself off to the gym for the first time in twenty-five days this evening, I felt  I would run about ten percent slower than my best ever or my average. But surprise! I was running according to my timing, 0.45 seconds faster over 10 meters than I was twenty five days ago, running the 10 meter at what would be World Record speed regardless of age-group.

I got to thinking, maybe such is evidence that  my junior high-school coach McFarland was right when he said exercise first breaks the muscles down before it builds them up. I thought of  the surprising high number of rest days that are recommended between weightlifting sessions for a particular body-part and between HIIT training sessions. I was wondering, how many athletes never improve due to lack of rest-days, or fail to realize that they have improved because they trust how they feel on a given day as opposed to a stopwatch.

Both this evening and Nov 5 I made sure to eliminate advantage of back and forth rocking movements immediately prior to start.

Experienced pain in the soles of the feet after running 3rd lap in gear 2.

On every sprint I innovated what I call innovation N302013. Previously I had not been doing this. I expect this innovation to cut at least a tenth of a second off my times. Generally did not feel at my fastest today.

Prior to running consumed: coffee w milk organic cinnamon sticks, & high-class Demerara sugar, 3 Whole Foods brand 'Triple Ginseng' capsules, nothing else.

____________________


11/05 Tuesday, 857-950 PM.

Ran: 4 laps in gear 1 (slowest speed), 3 laps in gear 2, 2 laps in gear 3, 2 laps in gear 4; then did four 10-meter sprints. My Times for the 10-meter sprints (stopwatch started simult w/ start of running) in seconds: 2.32, 2.44, 2.38, 2.23 (wall 20' behind finish line) (2.5 - 3 minute rests between sprints). Made sure to eliminate advantage of back and forth rocking movements immediately prior to start.

Experienced pain in the soles of the feet after running 3rd lap in gear 2, which resulted in a 5 minute break after running the lap. This reinforces the suspicion I've had, which is: the body mechanics are different for different speeds and the problem has been that I have not been getting enough practice running at intermediate speeds.

On the fourth sprint timed at 2.23 seconds, I implemented what is for me an innovation: on the start, with my right shoulder and right foot ahead of my left shoulder and left foot with my body leaning forwards, the first thing I did was throw my right hand out and up. Previously I had not been doing this. I expect this innovation to cut at least a tenth of a second off my times. Generally did not feel at my fastest today.

I find myself surprised that simply throwing the front hand out and up at the beginning of a sprint from a standing start can make such a difference...all those years playing sports involving short sprints, without ever appreciating the important of such technique...well maybe I intuitively subconsciously realized and practiced the importance of such when playing the ball games...but during several days of timed sprints I had not appreciated and implemented it...weird that coaches would neglect to teach the technique of a standing start, when so much attention is paid to details of the 3-point start, and given that in games the starts are always standing starts. As if, since the 3-point start is faster (when implemented  with skill) and more difficult, then therefore the technique of the standing start is beneath scrutiny.  

____________________


10/31 Thursday, 900-950 PM.

Ran: 3 laps in gear 1 (slowest speed), 3 laps in gear 2, 3 laps in gear 3, 3 laps in gear 4; then did four 10-meter sprints. My Times for the 10-meter sprints (stopwatch started simult w/ start of running) in seconds: 2.50, 2.31 (wall 14' behind finish line_, 2.15, 2.24 (wall 20' behind finish line) (2 minute rests between sprints). Made sure to eliminate advantage of back and forth rocking movements immediately prior to start.

The rests between runs were down about 20-30% in terms of length, compared to last time out, this a result of me resting as long as felt natural, as opposed to pushing myself.

Avg with padded wall 14' behind finish line: 2.40 seconds. Avg with padded wall 20' behind finish line: 2.22 seconds. This leads me to now hypothesize that: a factor (fear of collision with padded wall) that we consciously believe we can eliminate from impairing our performance, can nevertheless subconsciously impair our performance; and, we can be unaware of how a factor we think is not impairing our performance, is indeed impairing our performance.

____________________


10/29

Ran: 5 laps in gear 1 (slowest speed), 4 laps in gear 2, 4 laps in gear 3, 4 laps in gear 4; then did four 10-meter sprints. My Times for the 10-meter sprints (stopwatch started simult w/ start of running) in seconds: 2.11, 2.02, 2.16, 2.28 (2 minute rests between sprints). Made sure to eliminate advantage of back and forth rocking movements immediately prior to start.

At the 1991 IAAF World Championships, the 10-meter times for the eight male finalists in the 100 meters, varied from 1.80 - 1.91. Comparing my times to theirs would involve factoring: delay caused by reaction time in response to starter's pistol (them); running on basketball court (me) v running on track (them); standing start (me) vs  running out of a starter's block from a crouch (them); running in indoor soccer shoes, flat soled (me) vs running using spikes (them); and, other differences.

____________________


10/25/13

Did: a lap in Gear 1; a lap in gear 2; a lap in gear 3; a lap in gear 4; and a 20 yard sprint in gear 5 (running not cycling, I call different running speeds gears). Repeated cycle.  Gear 5 sprint distance changed from 24 yds to 20 yds. I believe Suddenly slowing down over the course of just approx 15', after the 24 yd run, and then banging into the wall-padding with my body because I didnt have enough space to slow down, was making my legs and the joints in my legs sore so I decided to change to 20 yd sprint to have more space to slow down in after the sprint.

My 20 yd times (with me starting the stopwatch simult with start of me running): 3.17, and 3.29 seconds. The slower 3.29 second time, is  faster than 3.93, my fastest at 24 yds, run on 10/19.

I estimate (see tech note this entry) the 3.17 second 20 yd time to be equal to 3.57 seconds for 24 yds; I estimate the 3.29 second 20 yd time to project to 3.71 seconds for 24 yds, really fast BIG IMPROVEMENT OVER WEEK AGO. On 10/19, my avg speed for 24 yds was 3.95.

I now suspect that without being aware of it, on 10/19 I was slowing down slightly prior to the finish line, due to fear of having only 15' to slow down and then banging into the wall.

Also When attempting to run a lap in submax gear 4 speed in 22 seconds, I ran it in just 18.77 seconds. Which was 1.1 second faster compared to 10/17 when I ran my fastest.

----------
Tech Note:

Feeling mystified re what 24 yd time is indicated by a given 20 yd time, I investigated regarding how I would go about the extrapolation process. By combining two data sources (12th IAAF World Championships in Athletics - Berlin 2009 - Biomechanics Project – Berlin 2009 and Optimisation of performance through kinematic analysis of the different phases of the 100 metres By Krzysztof Mackala (2007), I came up with an algorithm that should work for persons who are around my speed and improving (my job would have been alot easier if when providing instantaneous velocity plotted against time in seconds, they would have included split time data for various distances for the graphed individual/group).
-----
The sketched out computer program I came up with to extrapolate 24 yd speed from 20 yd speed:

A = a typical 10.8 secs per 100 meters sprinter
M = me

10(estimated 24 yd time for A / 24 yd time for M) = mecruised

/*
10 meters per second is the top speed of the 100 meters in 10.8 seconds type of runner, 20 yds from the start they have reached this top speed. mecruised = estimated distance I can run in 1 second at top speed in meters
*/

Adjust = 3.66/mecruised
/* 3.66 meters = 4 yds */

20 yd time for me + Adjust = 24 yd time for me raw estimate

24 yd time for me raw estimate / 3.95 = mult

/*
3.95 is my last recorded 24 yd time avg for a day
*/

20 yd time for me + (mult x Adjust) = final estimate of 24 yd time
-----
----------

____________________

10/19/13

Did about 3 laps each at 5 different speeds from slow to max speed on the bball ct. Switched to lighter indoor soccer shoes.

Highlights: Attempting to run one lap in a submax speed of 22 seconds, the times were: 19.9, 20.6, 20.2; and this was with me trying to run a shade slower than my max speed. On 10/17, running as fast as possible I ran the distance in 19.9 seconds on the first attempt.

Running approx 24 yards straight no turns: 3.93, 3.92, 3.97. Compared to 10/17, felt stronger and positionally lower early in run.

____________________


10/17/13

This evening, for the purposes of refining my individual HIIT workout, I timed myself in some sprints (times in seconds) on the indoor basketball court.

Running the rectangular perimeter of the basketball court, including four 90 degree turns (approx 77 yds): 19.9, 19.02.

Running approx 24 yards straight no turns: 4.04, 3.99, 4.02.

I was wearing heavy clunky all-purpose gym shoes. I was not wearing spikes. I was on a wooden gym floor. I used a standing start. I had not done any sprint type practice for about 9 months (during the 9 months I did lots of walking). I depressed the stopwatch button at the same time that I started running (this might have shaved 0.15 seconds off the time).

I created a page containing a data table which explains how the 4.0 second 24 yards run, indicates that: Usain Bolt's speed advantage compared to me over 24 yards would be just 0.35 seconds, easily obviated by factors other than speed; the 174th fastest NCAA 100-meter man in 2012, would be able to sprint 24 yards on the basketball court about as fast as me:

Why a 4-second 24 yd run in the gym is ultra-fast 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC