Saturday, October 12, 2013

$50 Olympus Recorder + Free Audacity Editor = Online Audio

Yesterday and today, I attained to basic competence in using the Olympus VN 702PC Digital Voice Recorder to record my voice, and the PC to edit the recording and make it available online.

I Got the VN 702PC for $49.99 from Staples.

I typed up basic instructions for myself for using it, which I distilled from the users manual.

My instructions:

Turn on: slide switch on left edge of recorder,
downwards.

Turn off: slide same switch downwards, hold for 0.5 seconds.

Choose folder. hit 'folder index' button to choose either folder A, B, C, D or E, as folder for next recording.

Record: point top of recorder (microphone) at sound source. Press record button. Press record button to pause. press record button again to restart. Press stop button to stop.

Save recording: the recordings are automatically saved with the title of the recording being the time at which the recording was made. For example: 10.11 '13 01:47 PM.

Playback: In stop mode, hit double left-arrow to go to first file in folder, or double-right arrow to display most recently recorded file listed. then hit OK button to play the file. Go through various files in folder using double-left arrows and double-right arrows.

Playback caution: pressing + or - while in playback mode, will change the speed at which the recording is played back.

Set record level. Hit menu button. Hit - button to move down to record level menu. Hit double arrow right button to move to 'record level' submenu. Hit double arrow right button again to move 'record level' choices. Choose either high (high microphone sensitivity for low volume sound sources) or low (low mic sensitivity for high volume sound sources). Hit OK to exit upon making choice. I set this to high, the default.

Set record mode. Same general method as 'set record level'. I set this to mp3, 192 kbps.

set low cut filter. default = off. turning this on, results in recording of low-frequency sounds being minimized so that voices are recorded more clearly.

set variable control voice actuator (VCVA). Default=off. I set this to 'on'. This level, I set to 6, so that the sound of the tv will not get the recorder going, but the sound of my voice will get it going.

Recording scene: set to 'user setting', which is the settings I input.

PC connectivity: use the short wire with the usb input and output jacks to connect the voice recorder to a usb port on the pc. Open my computer to locate the drive and folder containing the mp3s. Create a shortcut to said folder. Put shortcut in quicklaunch bar.

My Notes re alleged 'Corporate Stupidities' my mind at first considered the users manual to be guilty of:

note 1: the manual says to first select the folder containing the file, by pressing the folder/index button, when in stop mode. Problem with this, it advances the folder being looked at by the machine, so for example will advance from folder A to folder B. Then it will tell you that no file has been recorded, because you have advanced the folder the machine is looking at.

note 2: it provides you with various settings for 'recording scene', which automatically set various 'recording-related menu settings' to various settings. But it does not tell you, how the recording-related menu settings are set for the different recording scenes.

note 3: In the upper left corner, is the location for the letter which tells you which folder you are in. Since the display screen is below the outer protective screen, this crucial indicator is often in shadow and hard to read.

Audacity Audio Editor 

Next I Used the free Audacity Audio Editor (with lame1 add-on for mp3s) to Edit the mp3 Clip Created by the Olympus VN 702PC Digital Voice Recorder. I copied a mp3 file uploaded from the digital voice recorder. I opened it with the editor, made some changes, exported it with a new name, closed the file without saving any changes to it; I repeated said cycle with file after file till I felt as if I had made a competent interesting series of changes to the file.

Final Product:

First Recording Using new Portable Digital Voice Recorder:

Click Here to Hear the MP3

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC