Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Soccer Chip Pass Difficult Indoors

This morning indoors on the Y basketball court, I practiced chipping the ball at the wall. I counted a chip a success if it went in the intended direction & hit the wall, 33' away at a point 8' above the floor.


I did not warm up before keeping score. Using the left-foot, at first I succeeded on 4 of 11 attempts (36%). Using the right-foot, at first I succeeded on 2/9 attempts (22%). After this initial incompetence, I succeeded on 22/28 (79%) attempts with my left-foot, and 11/18 (61%) attempts with my right foot.

I knew I had fallen behind in terms of practicing chips; I was shocked at how bad I was at first without warmup. Recently in a game I attempted a right-footed chip off a ball sitting on the floor--the pass was too low and intercepted. Previous to that, in games I had made some excellent chip-passes up to 70 feet long, passes taht were perfectly timed & led the receiver perfectly.

I had been able to do left-footed chip passes well indoors in games without intensively practicing them. Most of the indoor players do not or cannot chip-pass a ball resting on the ground.

I am somewhat mystified as to why the left-footed chip-passes failed this morning at the beginning. Seems I can execute left-footed chip-passes well if I practice them a little & have gotten warmed up simply by way of playing in a game for 20 minutes or so.

My mistake with regards to the intercepted right footed chip attempt was that I had assumed that practicing low-apex right-footed passes, & practicing right-footed aerial dribbles, & achieving competence in these two tasks, had prepared me to execute right-footed chip-passes. I now realize how especially indoors, chipping a ball resting on the ground is technically distinct from a low-apex one-touch pass made off an incoming ball.

I have always from high school on been a good left-footed chip passer, able to execute left-footed chip passes on outdoor grass fields well without working on them in practice.

Today I realized that chipping a soft 3-PSI soccer ball (they use soft balls) that is resting on a wooden floor (they use basketball court floors), is much more difficult, compared to chipping a hard 10 PSI soccer ball resting on grass. The softness of the ball they use indoors, & the absence of grass to hold the ball up above the ground a little, make it difficult to get the foot under the ball during the chip.

At the end of the practice a black basketball playing man, ran across the gym and had me pass the soccer ball to him. I sent him a perfectly timed & placed right-footed chip, distance 20' apex 6'. Next I was thinking, that practicing the long approx 60' distance, 8' apex chip passes with my right-foot, had quickly produced a surprising level of competence with regards to 20' distance 6' chips.

My technical conclusions after the practice this morning, re indoor chips: ball is struck with the inside of the toe area; flip of the foot during kick optional; unusual level of mental attention to gaining altitude necessary; looking at the target first and then at the ball during the kick is an effective approach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC