Saturday, October 20, 2012

Soccer fitness conditioning endurance work returned to

Six months ago, 40 days featuring conditioning work done most days, had improved my fitness level by at least 100% (April 2012 Conditioning Drill Stats). But, observing my experience during the recent indoor soccer games at the Oak Sq Y, I've come to realize that I've been simply assuming that my fitness level has not declined much compared to what it was six months ago after about 40 days during which conditioning work was done most days.


During the 2012 Oak Sq Y Indoor Soccer League games earlier this year (Jan 10 to Feb 28), I realized I had to work on my fitness/conditioning/endurance. And so, over the course of 40 days, from February 9, after the 5th game of the 2012 Oak Sq Y Indoor Soccer League, to February 28, 2012 (19 days), &, after I had played a couple of games with the Irish Village soccer club, from April 6 to April 27 2012 (21 days), I worked on my conditioning/endurance/fitness for soccer.

The fitness routine I currently utilize to get in shape for indoor soccer, the one I followed today, consists of five drills: SW (10 reps), R (3 reps), 180 (10 reps), C (8 reps), & D (8 reps). The exercises done and the number of reps done for each exercise, were first consistently done as they now are done, on April 7, 2012, my 22nd day of conditioning work. April 7, the number of reps for each exercise was the same as today, October 19, 2012. April 7, the routine was finished in 48 minutes; today, the same routine was finished in 45.3 minutes.

Back in April, I progressed very fast. My times doing the same routine done today (same in terms of number of reps of each running exercise) progressed as follows: April 7, 48 minutes; April 8, 47 minutes; April 10, est. 41 minutes; April 11, est. 35.6 minutes; April 12, R & SW variants alone; April 12, 36.2 minutes; April 13, 34.5 minutes; April 14, 36.9 minutes; April 15, 31.6 minutes; April 17, 31.9 minutes; April 18, 29.35 minutes; April 19, 28.3 minutes; April 20, 27.3 minutes; April 21, 26.9 minutes; April 23, 26.0 minutes; April 24, 23.55 minutes; April 25, 24.8 minutes; April 26, 23.53 minutes; April 27, 23.8 minutes (during this fast phase of development, I did not rest on Sundays; however after about 3 weeks I simply quit).

Hence I estimate that although I have neglected soccer fitness workouts since April 27 approx 173 days ago, my fitness is as good as it was on April 8, the 22nd day of the 40 days featuring attention to fitness work, which began on February 9, after the 5th game of the Oak Sq Y soccer season.

I estimate that: after 3 more workouts that are the same as the 45-minute workout done today, my fitness-level will have improved by 52% compared to what it was today; next my fitness will stabilize over the course of another 3 workouts; next (after 7 workouts from now) my fitness will be improved by 68% compared to what it was today; next (after 14 workouts from now), my fitness level will be 102% better than it is today; next my fitness level will stabilize for at least another 3 workouts ( I should be on guard during this stabilization phase lest I simply quit the conditioning exercises).

In retrospect I can see how quickly I am capable of building up my endurance for indoor soccer, by following the routine that crystallized in its present form on April 7, earlier this year. I attribute the rapidity with which overall times improve on this workout to the advantage of diversification (I do 5 different types of runs during the course of the workout).

My theory of diversification: since with the passage of time the rate of improvement for a given activity declines, increases in the number of activities engaged in, tend to enhance the overall rate of improvement.

Compared to April 27 2012, the most recent day for which I have the same data as recorded today, the speeds today as a percent of the April 27 speeds were: R, 90%; SW, 75%; D & C, 54%; 180, 31% (but it should be noted, that the overall time of a workout includes breaks between different drills). During the recess from the conditioning work the greatest amount of degeneration was in the 180, & the least degeneration was in the R.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC