Thursday, February 12, 2009

Running shoes + 2 layers of padding = no pain (imperfect solution number 1 & possible better solutions)

For background to this post see my earlier post, "Running shoes and gel cushioning insoles have padding in the wrong places" at http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/02/running-shoes-and-gel-cushioning.html .

Wednesday night Feb 12, I again ran the five mile course on Moody and Main, the first third and fifth miles jogged, the second and fourth miles walked. The time this time was 94 minutes (again under-the-weather disadvantaged, as has been case since Feb 5). I ran in the 'Adidas Adistar Control-5' running shoes, with two layers of gel heel-to-toe padding in each shoe. I found this resulted in elimination of pain that was experienced in the balls and toes of the feet with zero or one layer of gel padding added to the "Adistar Control 5' shoes. The pain was Wednesday night replaced with a tingly numbness.

Wednesday night I felt grateful that I was able to run every yard of the three miles run in my natural style--heel and ball of the foot hitting the ground almost simultaneously, without pain; this resulted in a jogged-miles-jogged- fast, walked-miles-walked-slowly type of night.

However the time wednesday night was not very impressive; this imperfect solution elevates the feet in the shoes to a level--3/8 of an inch additional elevation due to the two layers of gel sole padding--where they should not be, excessively high in the shoe; and it adds significant weight to the shoe. But as some famous American general whose name I forgot said, an imperfect solution is better than no solution.

Researching the subject on the internet, I came across foot-care products that I had never seen before, products that I did not know even existed, that could replace and improve upon the two layers of heel to toe gel padding:

Toes Padding

Footsmart Gel Toe Crest, $9 each
http://www.footsmart.com/P-Footsmart-Gel-Toe-Crest-ea-40110.aspx
My Adistar Control 5 shoes already contain a built-in, pronounced, toe-crest of this type.

Footsmart Gel Toe Cap, $10 for two, $5 each
http://www.footsmart.com/P-Gel-Toe-Cap-Set-of-2-98122.aspx
Capping each toe would cost $5X10=$50 with this product!

Footsmart Gel Toe Tubes, $9 for two 4.5" tubes (each cuts up into more than one toe tube/cap)
http://www.footsmart.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=2323&cm_re=xsell-_-product-_-1
This way I could cap two toes and tube eight toes for only $10, much cheaper than the Gel Toe Caps.

Ball of Foot Padding

Silipos ball of foot cushions, $16/pair
http://www.footsmart.com/P-Silipos-Ball-of-Foot-Cushions-40021.aspx

Ultra Gel Forefoot Wrap $20/pair
http://www.footsmart.com/P-FootSmart-Ultra-Gel-Forefoot-Wrap-Pr-40298.aspx
This pads the ball of the foot not the toes

FootSmart Gel Forefoot Pads, Pair $9
http://www.footsmart.com/P-Peda-Bella-Gel-Forefoot-Pads-40013.aspx
Seems this pads ball of foot only

Forefoot Padding

Forefoot Pad with Metatarsal Dome, Pair $20
http://www.footsmart.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=65&cm_re=xsell-_-product-_-2
This pads from the middle of the ball of the foot to the tips of the toes.

Silicone Forefoot Insoles, Pair $12
http://www.footsmart.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=262&cm_re=xsell-_-product-_-1
These pad the area from the ball of the foot to the tips of the toes. They pad the entire ball of the foot not just the middle of the ball of the foot. The blurb at the footsmart site is extraordinarily enthusiastic about this product. This product seems like the best deal in foot comfort for me now.

A remaining task for me now is a task I have found so far, to be surprisingly difficult: to find what local retail outlets sell this kind of stuff. I have never bought this stuff before, to me it seems reasonable that the first time you buy something you buy it at a retail outlet. Buying from a retail outlet: I don't have to wait a few days to take delivery and go through confusion and worry, for example, re will the delivered stuff be stolen from the hallway; I establish someone I can ask questions of, who could be indebted to me for being a customer; and, it is easier to return stuff that does'nt work out.

At a time like this when we are staring into an abyss of a terrifying future featuring an attempt to survive without money in a non-agricultural, cold-temperature, high-population-density environment, people probably think, how could someone be getting into detail re jogging-shoe-add-ons at a time like this?'

I get into this matter in detail because my perspective is: that improved aerobic fitness results in improved performance in 'important' tasks related to survival in difficult environments; jogging on a treadmill strengthens different muscles compared to running on ground and is boring; jogging on a track is impossible during snowstorms and results in interesting encounters with a relatively narrow segment of the population; since I could be a star in soccer and sports similar to soccer if my aerobic/anaerobic fitness improved running is the reasonable path to aerobic fitness for me; improvement in aerobic fitness for me is impaired as a result of pain in the feet.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Virginia Janet said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC