Friday, February 06, 2009

1916 Audio of Dixie Land combined with tambourine tracks added by me

At Youtube someone posted in video format, an audio of a man singing 'Dixie Land' in 1916 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff58W_m2ipk ).

I combined this audio with three tracks of me playing tambourine, with different special effects used in each track. You can hear the resulting combination here:

Dixie Land with added Tambourine Tracks

I took tabla lessons for a year in India when I was in 5th grade when I was a boy. In grade school I took drum lessons at the American Conservatory of Music in Chicago. I played the drums in music class in grade school and/or high school not sure.

The percussion tracks I added are not in an exact metronome-like mechanical rhythm. I don't see the advantage of exact machine-like rhythm. By using the special effects in the software that came with the mic, I was able to make the tambourine sound like three different instruments on the three different tracks.

I used the Samson CO1U Studio Condenser USB microphone (to record the tambs) and the Sonar LE software that came with the mic (both bought at Best Buy in Watertown MA) to produce this Dixie+my-tambourines audio.

I must admit that though I consider myself expert at searching the internet, my internet search did not reveal to me that this Samson C01U mic is a good buy for PC audio recording use. When I got to Best Buy they told me about the Samson CO1U condenser mic and the software that came with it, they told me it was a c condenser mic specifically made for the PC. They were enthusiastic about the mic and the accompanying software. I at first thought they were nutty, I had the idea that you don't get good softwares by just walking into a store and buying a box that is absurdly too large for the software inside of it; I thought success would lie in carefully checking the internet for good software; buying a condenser mic seemed like a weird idea to me compared to buying a dynamic mic given what I had learned on the internet. At Best Buy the salesmen taught me that there are cheaper mics specifically made for the PC that work better on the personal computer than more expensive superior ones that are not specifically made for the PC; this had escaped me during my internet info search.

Best Buy let me buy two mics to test out and gave me thirty days to return one or both of them, this impressed me. So far I'd say: the Sonar LE software is great if you can figure it out despite the difficult to understand help section; there are difficulties with getting the recorded volume up high in the Sonar LE; the Samson CO1U produces awesome vocals sound if you tweak things right in the SOnar software; compared to the high playback volume produced when the Samson CO1U is used to record vocals, the Samson CO1U produces a surprisingly low volume playback sound when it records a tambourine that is banged just a foot away from the microphone.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC