Thursday, June 12, 2014

Garwhal Garhwal and Kumaon

This is the beginning of my post on Garhwal or Garwhal and Kumaon; stuff I come up with in the future re this subject I'll post here.

I've been interested in Garwhal or Garhwal and Kumaon. When the Garhwal soldiers march in the Republic Day parade, it has seemed to me that they look like space-aliens from another planet who are better looking than humans. Best I can recall the Kumaon troops look like them. They wear uniforms of the sort I like. I had read about their glorious military history. While watching black-and-white TV documentaries about the British-Indian army during WW-II, I had felt an intuitive respect and admiration for the British-officered Indian troops.

I found out that Garhwal and Kumaon are from an area of India about 300 miles northwest of Varanasi. I wanted to establish some kind of link between myself and them. I had lived in Benares when I was a boy during third grade and during fifth grade. There I had seen men who looked like Garhwalis. I felt clever to type into Google Search, Garwhal and Benares, instead of Garwhal and Varanasi, because Benares is the old name for Varanasi. Then Google wanted to redirect me to Garhwal Benares, which had 200 times as many results as Garwhal Benares. But some instinct pushed me to stick with the 'mis-spelled' search with the few results.

Then on the first page of results I found what I was looking for, 'Proverbs & Folklore of Kumaun and Garwhal - Google Books', where I found a Garwhali or Garhwali proverb: 'It is better to live in Benares with a little food, than with much food elsewhere'.

Seems I sort of sleep-walk style stumbled on to what I was looking for, similar to how a couple of days ago, I walked through the Target store sort of in a trance not knowing where I was going and then snapped out of it, only to find myself looking straight at the best deal Boston stores have had in a long time, a 6.5' tall shelf on wheels, 3' wide, 1.5' deep, for just $40. Seems that when it comes to using search-engines, a famous proverb sometimes holds true: "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away".  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC