Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Dream about Greater Boston YMCA Executives

I have been feeling somewhat annoyed by the management of the Greater Boston Y. They oversee about a dozen YMCAs in the Boston area. I applied for a job as Exec Director of the Waltham Y and did not get it. I watched as they forgot about me and appointed someone half my age to get paid more than I have ever been paid to be their Membership Director, and gave him credit for things that happened on his watch, simply because the things happened on his watch. I have been somewhat unimpressed by the people they have appointed. I have noticed how apparently, they (seemingly almost superstitiously) tend to simplistically give credit for anything a YMCA accomplishes, to some executive who happened to be in place at the given Y at the time the Y achieved something. About a week ago, I had a dream about them.

In the dream, I was meeting with about ten of the top Greater Boston YMCA Executives; it was just me and them. Sr VP for Human Resources Paul Mantell was there (he decides who gets many of the top jobs at the YMCAs in the Greater Boston YMCA, he is the one who gave the Waltham Exec Director job to someone else). I have never seen Mantell or a photo of him. In the dream, Mantell was about six feet two inches tall; he was kind of stocky; he wore a plad Scottish-style shirt made of thick red and blue stripes; his hair was thick and brown and medium length; he was clean-shaven; and I think he wore spectacles. In the dream, during the meeting, I was feeling as if the Greater Boston YMCAs were boring people, and I felt irritated by them.

There are various problems with the obsession personnel officers have with experience. I wonder if they even realize, that an emphasis on how much experience a job candidate has, leads to a de-emphasis of important factors other than experience. I wonder if they realize, that half the jobs are placed by way of connections and many of the remainder are placed as a result of experience derived from connections. I wonder if they realize, that how much experience people have is determined by the decisions of the hiring managers of the marketplace, decisions that can tend to be merely of average quality, or even worse (plus every institution is unique, different from the marketplace at large). I wonder if they realize that obsession with how much experience job candidates have, results, demonically, in the perpetual punishment of those who early in life experienced bad luck or were the victims of sins or crimes.

When King David was appointed King by Saul, he was 'merely' an inexperienced shepherd. When St. Peter was appointed the human head of the Christian Church, he was 'merely' a fisherman. When St Paul first became a leader of the Christian Church, his 'experience' consisted simply of having been a leading persecutor of the Church.

For 20 years now, in the upper right hand corner, there has been a quotation, namely, 1 Timothy 6:17-19. Seems to me, that therefore, Ishould be treated well by an organization like the YMCA. I have suffered enough because of the quotation on my resume. It's as if, like a classic British Navy Captain, I'm 'going down with the ship' because of the quote on the resume. But it does'nt have to be that way.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC