Monday, May 11, 2009

Length of Steps stretched to length of El-Guerrouj and Walter Dix steps; track practices week in review

Review of Track Practices of Past Week

May 10 (most recent) practice, experiments in running with same length of pace as Hicham El-Guerrouj (world champion in mile) and Walter Dix (2008 Olympics 100 meter bronze medal):

Evening of May 9 I went out to the track and placed markers using athletic tape at intervals of 7.25 feet; I put down 18 of these markers, thus the distance of all the markers combined was 7.25 x 17 = 123.25 feet, approx 41 yards. You can read up on the strategic reasoning behind this at my May 3 post (http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/05/getting-inspired-and-un-tired-during.html
).

Seemed to me that 17 markers marking off 41 yards in total was a good choice in terms of total distance covered by markers because the 40 yard dash is an important prestige sprint in the US.

Other reasons the total distance covered by the markers should continue being 41 yards:

I discovered during the May 10 practice that as of now my maximum in terms of number of steps I can run with each step 7.25 feet in length is about 17 steps, which comes to about 41 yards in length.

During the May 10 practice I found that as of now, when I run with every step being 7.25 feet in length, I run with a weird form: I sort of swing both arms way forward together and swing both arms way back together as I run forwards.

Seems to me, that I should learn how to run using 7.25 foot length steps with form that is normal, as opposed to developing the ability to run more than seventeen 7.25 foot steps with abnormal form.

Practicing 7.25 foot length steps with abnormal form merely builds up the muscles associated with abnormal form. Practicing with normal form builds up muscles associated with normal form.

May 10, I wanted to see how many steps I could run, with each step approximately touching next to a marker, meaning the distance between steps never being less than 7.25 feet.

My findings:

First experiment: from a standing start with one foot behind the other, immediately attempt to move forward with every step being 7.25 feet in length.

Result (best performance): I found that I could not do this. The best I could do was to cover about 11 feet with two steps.

2nd Exp: I started with my left foot 2.5 feet behind the first marker and my right foot behind my left foot. I moved my right foot forwards to hit to the side of the marker in front of it; after this, with each step I tried to cover the 7.25 feet distance between markers.

Result (best performance): I found that I was able to perform two 7.25 feet-length steps in a row and then the third step was only about 2 feet in length.

3rd Exp: I started with my right foot 5 feet behind the first marker and my left foot behind my right foot. I took 2 short steps forwards ending with my right foot to the side of the first marker; after this I attempted each step forwards being 7.25 feet in length.

Result (best performance): I was able to take three 7.25 foot length steps in a row; the 4th step was only 3 feet in length.

4th Exp: I started with my left foot 7.5 feet behind the first marker and my right foot behind my left foot. I took 3 short steps forward ending with my right foot hitting to the side of the first marker. After this I attempted to move forward with every step being 7.25 feet in length.

Result (best performance): I was able to complete ten 7.25 foot steps in a row, the 11th step was only 6 feet in length.

5th Exp: I started 10 feet behind the first marker. I took 4 short steps ending with my right foot hitting to the side of the first marker. After this I attempted to move forward with every step being 7.25 feet in length.

Result (best performance): I was able to complete 13 7.25 foot-length steps in a row; the 14th step was only 3 feet in length.

6th Exp (best performance): I started 12.5 feet behind the first marker. I took 4 short steps ending with my right foot hitting to the side of the first marker. After this I attempted to move forward with every step being 7.25 feet in length.

Result (best performance): I was able to complete 16 7.25 foot-length steps; the 17th step was only 6 feet in length.

7th Exp: I started 16 feet behind the first marker. I took 5 short steps ending with my right foot hitting to the side of the first marker. After this I attempted to move forward with every step being 7.25 feet in length.

Result: With maximum effort, I was able to complete 14 7.25 foot-length steps; the 15th step was only 3 feet in length. With moderate effort I was able to complete 7 7.25 foot-length steps. Seems that it this point due to fatigue the results had begun to decline.

Based on the results of these experiments, I as of now resolve to, in the practices in which the emphasis is on length of pace:

Replace eight of the 220 yard runs with twenty runs, one every 3 minutes, in which I:

Start approx 12.5 feet behind the first marker; take 4 quick steps ending with my right foot hitting to the side of the first marker; then attempt to cover 7.25 feet with each step for as many steps as possible.

Adhering to the minimal number of short steps before the long steps start: will minimize time and energy expended on activities that are so to speak besides-the-point; and, will build up the ability to stretch out to long steps using a minimal number of short-steps prior to the long steps, a method characteristic of actual competition.

It was amazing how tiring and appetite-producing this May 10 workout featuring attempts to equal Walter Dix and El-Guerrouj was, despite the fact that in total there were only about twenty runs averaging about 20 yards in length.

It should be kept in mind that: El-Guerrouj although approximately my height weighed only 126 pounds when he set his record; El-Guerrouj had a very light small upper-body and extremely long legs.

Judging from the May 10 workout, it is in retrospect amazing how I was able to take long steps of around 13 feet, when doing the soccer-ball air-dribbling drills (running forwards while juggling the ball). These 13 foot steps were preceded by only a few shorter steps.

As of now I estimate that the soccer air-dribbling drills are excellent for developing the ability to take one or two very long steps preceded by a small number of short steps.

Some kind of mind-over-matter type thing seems to be going during the soccer air dribbling--seems since my mind is focused on the soccer ball, I somehow avoid over-straining, intuitively avoid incorrect technique, and effortlessly attain to very long steps.

Recently I've read about how due to over-straining and incorrect technique, performance can be inferior to what is achieved with less effort.

Note: I have not corrected the earlier blog post in which I said that Glucosamine Chondroitin or some such substance cured by back problems. Since I put up the earlier post I have concluded that it was most probably just the soccer air dribbling that cured my back problem; perhaps it was a combination of the Glucosamine and the soccer air-dribbling.

The previous week in review post, dated May 3, is at:

http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/05/220-yd-runs-week-in-review-breathing.html

May 5 Practice:

Eight 220 yard runs were done, one every seven minutes; then there was a seven minute break and a mile walked; finished up with eight more 220 yard runs one every seven minutes.

Runs were in the moderate-length-paced style. Moderate level effort exerted during runs. The first eight runs the breathing pattern was inhale during 3 steps exhale during 3 steps. The second 8 segments the breathing pattern was inhale during 2 steps exhale during 2 steps.

The times were (in seconds, 220 yard run times):
58 53 54 56 52 54 54 52
61 59 57 57 55 56 55 54

I found that I became short of breath during the last 50 yards or so when inhaling during 3 steps and exhaling during 3 steps. The inhale during 2 steps and exhale during 2 steps pattern was OK though.

The day after this practice on May 6, I felt close to God from when I awoke for about eight hours.

May 7 Practice:

Eight 220 yard runs were done, one every seven minutes; then there was a seven minute break and a mile walked. Runs were in the short-paced style. Moderate level of effort was exerted during the runs. The breathing pattern was inhale during 2 steps exhale during 2 steps.

The times were (in seconds, 220 yard run times):

52 47 42 44 47 48 50 48 = 378

378 seconds achieved with moderate level of effort is new personal record for eight runs in a row total, better than old personal record set using maximum effort.

The inhale during 2 steps and exhale during 2 steps pattern did not result in becoming 'winded' or short of breath during the run.

I discuss the 42 second (new personal record despite moderate effort exerted, superior to old personal record achieved with maximum effort) 220 yard run and tactical ideas I developed after the May 7 practice at:

http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/05/getting-inspired-and-un-tired-during.html

Notes From Dreamland:

The local colleges are having their graduation ceremonies and I am more seriously into running track than ever before. This reminds me of a dream I had a few months ago about a couple of local female college track athletes.

In the dream I was riding a very fast horse-- I saw the horse I was riding moving from my left to my right at a high rate of speed. Two female college track athletes from a local college, Erin who graduated a few years ago, and Logan, who is still in college, were also riding very fast horses and following me.

The three of us, Erin, Logan and I, were being chased by a demon on a horse that was just slightly slower than our very fast horses.

The three of us galloped into a castle; the castle door slammed shut behind us, and the demon on the horse who was chasing us could not get into the castle. The dream ended.

This dream increased my suspicion of this female known as 'dead-baby' who sort-of slanders Erin and Logan and people like them.

I am reminded that according to scripture, the true descendants of the great tribal patriarchs of old are the spiritual descendants of the tribal patriarchs of old, not the biological descendants of the tribal patriarchs of old.

I am reminded that--from the scriptural point of view--if anybody is special genetically speaking, it is the descendants of the Jews of the time of Christ who converted to Christianity and blended in with the gentiles, not the descendants of the Jews who rejected Christ.

@2009 David Virgil Hobbs

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC