Saturday, April 25, 2009

6:22 mile--run as eight 220 yard runs followed by 5 minute breaks, in short quick paces style

Prior to workout consumed: coffee, cod-liver oil, a little 'C-boost' drink (did not consume cod liver oil prior to workout yesterday).

Workout April 24 started:3:15 PM; ended: 9:27 PM. There was a 112 minute interruption.

Workout consisted of: eight 220 yard runs (time in seconds) with 5 min breaks in between each run (time at end of run rounded up to next minute plus 5 minutes=start next run), alternating with walked miles.

Workout Results:

Eight 220s:

49+49+45+51+(extra 5 min break)+50+48+(extra 5 min break)+45+45=6:22; average=47.75

The extra 5 minute breaks, which increased the break time from 5 to 10 minutes, were due to wretching, nausea. This was because of the lack of solid food prior to the workout. A mouthful of organic trail-mix from Hannaford Supermarket got me over the problem the first wretching session. The second wretching session was solved through simply 5 minutes extra of rest.

24:48 = 1 mile walked

Attempts to run the 220 yd distances in exactly 73 seconds (without mentally counting off seconds or looking at the watch in between start time and end time):

Eight 220s:

75+66+67+79+67+70+62+69=9:15;

The runs missed the target 73 seconds by an average of 5.4 seconds (7.4%); average time per run was 69.4 seconds

25:20 = 1 mile walked

Attempts to run the 220 yd distances in 73 seconds:

Eight 220s:

??(estimate 72)+77+71+70+73+72+70+73=578=9:38

The runs missed the target 73 seconds by an average of 1.9 seconds, (2.6%); average time per run was 72.2 seconds

28:25 = 1 mile walked, end workout.

Total time after 5th mile=75:48

Total time of workout 3:15 - 9:27 PM (372 minutes), minus 112 minute break for errand: 260 minutes, 4 hours 20 minutes.

Remarks

The first eight 220 yd runs, averaged 48 seconds, 11 seconds better than the average yesterday, were incredible for someone like me.

When later in the day, I later ran 220s at a deliberately slower yet tiring pace, I could not believe that I had actually done the first eight 220s so fast.

At this rate of improvement for overall speed for eight 220s chained together, I will be down to Usain Bolt's world record time of 19.30 secs for 219 yards (200 meters) in just five days (http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/records/records.jsp?listId=1 ).

And I will be at the world record time for my age group for the 20 yd run in just four days (http://www.mastersathletics.net/fileadmin/html/Rankings/Rankings_2008/2008200metres.htm ).

I should get a medal for those eight fast 220s in the Friday afternoon sun from 3:15 to 4:13 PM.

(Insert audio: the most stirring parts of the soundtrack from the 'Killer Angels' movie about the civil war; insert video: 'crossroads charge' segment from 'Band of Brothers' movie about WWII).

Note re misconduct of persons impairing such achievement:

I had a dream I was better at soccer than Michael Ballack, the Germany captain; yet all these people who consider themselves to be rabid anti-nazis, by their actions impair my ability to develop the physical fitness I need to develop in order to excel Ballack in actual game-type conditions...I need a high-paying part-time jobs...it's a lie that I'm not worth big bucks per hour doing things like research & reports in internet/intranet.

End of note.

During those first eight 220s, I ran a 45 second 220 yd segment three times, these were all better than my previous personal record of 47 seconds of two days ago.

Looking at the rate of improvement from this perspective, I will be down to the world record in the 220 for my age group in 34 days, and down to Usain Bolt's 19.30 second world record regardless of age-group, in 42 days, six weeks.

For the next few days I do not want to exert myself the way I exerted myself on the first eight 220 yd runs today. That kind of thing is so brutal on the body, that one begins to find clever excuses for skipping the workout.

I want to be able to relax and enjoy workouts for a few days, as opposed to experiencing stress and torture, bent over with hands on knees, gasping for breath for at least a minute, twenty-five times a day.

That is why on the 220 yd runs composing the second and the third miles on Friday April 24, I played a game in which I attempted to run each 220 yd segment in exactly 73 seconds.

The 73 second figure is one-half of 147 seconds my personal record for the 440 yd run.

(Insert video: pan portrait of Albert Einstein; insert audio: (deep bass male voice) this is the kind of insight that against all odds produces champions)

Fact is, at certain times, athletes and others must deploy the art of pacing themselves with precision, meaning, exerting themselves at a level that is for example, 80% of the maximum level of exertion they are capable of.

Given what I have learned studying weight-training oriented towards improving sprint speed, I value diversity in terms of types of exercises employed in pursuit of a performance or fitness objective.

Friday April 24 there were in the first mile 8 220s at 98% of max speed, and in the second and third miles, 16 220s at 67% of max speed.

Defining effort-units as number of runs times speed during run, this comes out to 1856 effort units: (8x98=784)+(16x67=1072)=1856, average effort-units per run, speed as percent of personal maximum, 77; average time per run, 63 seconds.

Even keeping the total effort-units unchanged, and at the same time never running a 220 yd segment in more than 73 seconds, meaning never running at less than 64% of maximum speed, one can imagine diversity-producing alternatives such as, twenty-four 76% of maximum speed, 63 second, 220 yd runs.

220 yd runs at a relatively low level of exertion, combined with fast speeds on the walked miles, and reduced rest intervals between runs, is a diversity-producing alternative to 220 yd runs at a high level of exertion combined with slower speeds on the walked miles and longer intervals between runs.

There develops a need for skill in the art of hitting the optimum in terms of exertion level per 220 yd run segment, duration of breaks between 220 yd run segments, and number of 220 yd run segments run. The ultimate goal is to be able to run a mile in six minutes.

Thus it would be advantageous to be smart in terms of determining for example, what the minimally acceptable level of exertion should be when running a 220 yd segment.

For myself I calculated this minimally acceptable level of exertion at 73 seconds for a 220 yard run, the basis of the calculation being that 73 seconds is one-half of the 147 seconds that was my fastest time for the 440 yd run.

IMHO this 73 second estimate for minimally acceptable 220 yd runs, displays the kind of mathematical skill one needs in order to maximize improvement.

I have been applying mathematics to several different subjects and the methodology I have employed to produce the 73 second estimate intuitively strikes me as having a natural logic to it, and being at least equal to possible alternatives for determining the minimally acceptable effort for the 220 yd run

The alternatives for estimating the minimally acceptable speed, according to my mathematical intuition, are not worth the disadvantage of the increased complexity and the time and energy put into searching for the alternatives.

In order to maximize the rate of improvement, one needs to be able to precisely pace oneself, because no matter how clever one is in terms of determining at what percent of maximum speed a 220 yard run should be run at, if one is unable to run at the target speed, one is unable to put into effect the clever plan.

Thus runs in which the goal is to run not at maximum speed, but at a target speed that is below the maximum speed, serve a purpose.

Such runs take the mind off of fatigue, and the attempts to run at a target speed, not faster or slower, are fun in a mental kind of way.

Let us define the actual vs target (A/T) ratio as the actual time in seconds of the run, divided by the target time in terms of seconds for the run.

The runs April 24 that were targetted on 73 seconds showed that: the A/T ratio varied from 0.85 to 1.08; 81% of the time I run faster than the target speed; the A/T ratio changed from 0.85-1.08 in the first 8 runs targetted at 73 seconds to 0.96-1.05 in the second eight runs targetted at 73 seconds.

It should be easy to conceive of instances in which an athlete would want to conserve energy, operate at a sub-maximal level of output, during an actual high-stakes contest, as opposed to during practice. I'll leave thinking up examples of such for later because as of now, my mind is tired in terms of the kind of mental energy that is used to dream up such examples.

I estimate that valuable insights into a person's psychological and physiological condition could be obtained by having persons do time-targetted runs as I did on April 24, and then looking at results such as how much they missed the time target by, whether they were under or over the time target, how fast they improved in terms of reaching the time target.

This would probably require the cooperation of the persons running, in terms of not mentally counting off seconds as they ran (I did not mentally count off seconds as I ran).

Mentally counting off seconds takes up mental space that is better used for other things. To measure the ability of persons to mentally count off seconds, you do not need to have them out on the field running around.

The persons running could be asked to chant some kind of chant; this would occupy their minds making it difficult for them to simultaneously count off the seconds as in, 'one one thousand, two one thousand' etc etc.

Faces in the Crowd

From about 6:35 - 6:50 PM, a group of high school kids, black females and white males, congregated in the silver-colored bleachers. One of them was playing the guitar. I thought that this mellow relaxing instrumental he played was excellent.

One of the youths said (I could tell they were talking about me, 'he's taking it easy'). I marvelled that he could tell that I was 'taking it easy'. A 70 second 220 yd run could be easy or difficult depending on the person doing the running.

Later I asked the group of youths who the guitarist was. Turned out it was Mark Debernardi, a Waltham High School freshman. Remembering Mark I wonder, 'was he ripped off in the sense that someone convinced his mom he needed braces when he actually did not need braces?'.
I tried to find out what the song was that I liked, Mark said something about 'doors' and 'Led Zeppelin', I gave up on trying to discover what the song was.

As I was finishing up the 220 yd segment that ended at 7:27 PM, a bespectacled somewhat overweight boy who was about eleven years old, who was on the track with his siblings and his dad, and who appeared to be ethnically speaking somewhere between white and brown, was watching me.

As this boy looked at me, he said, 'he's fast!'.

Thus we have the valuable info that I seem to be fast in the eyes of boys, even when the time over 220 yards is 69 seconds.

Maybe I seemed fast because I was using the short quick paces style of running.

@2009 David Virgil Hobbs

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC