Saturday, May 09, 2009

Getting inspired and un-tired during training workouts, through knowing how one compares with the champions

On May 6th 2009, on the third 220 yard run I ran, my time was 42 seconds, a new personal record, despite exerting moderate as opposed to maximum effort.

I pieced together some facts about my 42 second 220 yd run and about the world's leading milers and sprinters:

Me, (David Virgil), May 7 2009, third 220 run at 9:50 PM, 141 paces over 200 meters slash 220 yards, 42 second time, using moderate level of effort: 3.4 steps per second, 1.42 meters per step, 1.56 yards per step, 56" per step, 204 steps per minute, 4.7 feet per step, 4.8 meters per second speed. My height 5'10".

Usain Bolt, 100 meters in 9.7 seconds, 2008 Olympics Gold Medal: 2.44 meters per step, 2.68 yards per step, 8.0 feet per step, 4.23 steps per second, 254 steps per 60 seconds, 41 steps, 10.3 meters per second speed. Usain Bolt's height: 6'5".

Walter Dix, 100 meters, 2008 Olympics Bronze Medal, 9.91 seconds: 4.44 steps per second. 266.4 steps per minute, 7.5 feet per step, 10.1 meters per sec; the other Olympic 100 meter finalists were similar to this. Dix's height: 5'9"

Hicham El-Guerrouj (El-G), current world record in mile set 1999: 1609 meters, 223 seconds, 3.72 minutes, 744 steps, 2.4 yds per step, 2.2 meters per step, 7.2 feet per step, 200 steps per minute, 7.2 meters per second. El-G's height is 5'9". His weight, 126 lbs.

Thus, as of now, at my best when making a moderate effort, I am running approx the same number of steps per minute as El-G; my length of step is two-thirds of what El-G's average length of step was. My speed is two-thirds of what El-G's speed was.

Compared to Walter Dix, who is more similar to me in height than Usain Bolt: my number of steps per minute is three-quarters of that of Dix in the 100 meter; my length of step is two-thirds of what Dix's was; my speed is half of what Dix's was.

Obviously one can obtain a (probably regrettable) thrill by torturing oneself into running with max effort or as fast as some world champ for at least a period of time. Problem is that what I want is the interesting, useful, fun, inspiring, energizing thrill of resembling a national or world champion without the self-torture--the solution for such is less obvious. My experience has been that moderate-effort runs have produced dramatic improvement in the past few days without excess exhaustion being involved.

Thus this hyar prezidenshul comishun cunkloods thet tha easiest available cheap thrills as of now aside from simply speeding up to the point of excess exhaustion are:

TYPE OF DAY, (me compared to world champs as percentage, for given attribute)

1 FOR SHORT PACES DAYS (my paces per second rate compared to world champions: 100% mile, 75% 100 meter): Get number of paces up from 3.4 steps per sec to approx 4.4 steps per second (Dix's 100 meter rate) while keeping speed at faster than 43 secs per 220 yds. This could be accomplished by reducing the length of step by 20% while increasing the frequency of steps by 30%. Perhaps such could be done for half of a 220, 110 yds, which can easily be measured off on the track.

Such would entail 220 yd runs like, 43 secs using 189 steps, 30 secs using 129 paces, 38 secs at 160 paces. Of these the last alternative is by far the most attainable. This would probably require increasing speed beyond what moderate effort produces. I gain little from slowing to a crawl and increasing step frequency, but by maintaining speed and increasing step frequency I gain more, I gain both a skill and a thrill.

2. FOR LONG PACES DAYS (my length of pace compared to world champions=67%): Get average length of pace up from 4.7 feet to the 7.2 feet characteristic of El-G the great miler. Dix's 100 meters average length of pace was almost the same, 7.5 feet.

This would require getting the number of steps over 220 yards down to 92. This would probably require speeds of greater than 50 secs/220 yds; maybe my ability to move slowly at a long average stride length is improving. At slower speeds it is hard to generate a long stride length.

I am as of now apparently weaker (more dissimilar compared to world champions) in the sense of length of stride, than I am in the sense of quickness, the ability to execute a high number of steps per minute.

Beyond being lazy about exerting oneself, occasionally one must max out in terms of effort (but without killing onself). By using my imagination and my mind (plus internet and PC), I can render such exertions (Gordon Brown & 'named and shamed' move over) less tired and more inspired.

I calculate that: I can equal the man who is ranked 29th in my age group in the US in the 220 yard run, by running the 220 yard run in 28 seconds; and I can equal El-G's speed during his world-record mile run, by running the 220 yard run in the same 28 seconds. Knowing this, motivates me into attempting what is now for me a hard task, 30 second 220 yard runs (I give myself 2 seconds for wearing heavy padded shoes); knowing this will render such attempts less tired and more inspired.

Seeing that I tend to be able to run at max effort, the 220 in two-thirds the time it takes me at moderate effort, I estimate this 30 second 220 yard run is not more than a month away, and can be attained without overexertion.

I calculate that: I can at least over 220 yds in terms of speed, equal the man who is ranked 25th in the US in my age-group in the mile, by running the 220 yd run in 40 seconds, which will equal the speed that this man evinced over an entire mile. Knowing this fact: points me in the direction of attempting to consistently run the 220 yard distance in 40 seconds or less; and also, knowing this will render such attempts less tired and more inspired (sounds like Gordon Brown's 'named and shamed' no?).

It really is hard to imagine that someone who has been similar to a couch-potato for a long time when it comes to this kind of running, should suddenly after dabbling in the 220 yard run on a dozen or so days, be on the verge of breaking into the top 25 in the rankings nationwide. Being ranked in the top 25 in anything in a nation as big as the US is a very big deal. Top 25 out of ten thousand colleges impresses people. Top 25 out of five million individuals in my age slash gender group in the US, is even better than that.

The exhaustion involved in executing the drills is much easier endured when the imagination is employed. I will be less tired and also more inspired, doing drills designed to increase step frequency or step length knowing how I compare with the great sprinters and milers.

Relevant Links:

The Fundamentals of Usain's Insane 100 Meter Bolt
http://www.educatedrunner.com/Blog/tabid/633/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/157/Default.aspx

El-Guerrouj's World Record Mile Run
http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?board=1&id=2167829&thread=2165896

YouTube - Hicham el Guerrouj World Record Mile 3:43.13 Rome 1999
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlW_1xTrZMQ

Walter Dix 2007 NCAA 100 meters 9.93 splits SpeedEndurance.com
http://speedendurance.com/2009/02/15/walter-dix-2007-ncaa-100-meters-993-splits/


@2009 David Virgil Hobbs

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC