Monday, March 30, 2009

68 minute 5-mile run, March 29, new personal record, using quick long paces style

Friday March 27, I felt like I was coming down with a cold after the run in the rain the previous day. Saturday March 28, I got absorbed in studying the economy and did not run.

Sunday March 29:

I left the footwear as it was during the previous runs of March 26, 25, & 24. Footwear advice I gave to myself after the previous run March 26, was that the advice is the same as described after the March 25 run (http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/03/74-minute-5-mile-run-march-25-using.html ).

Results foot-comfort wise:

Left foot/leg: some relatively mild pain in front outside muscle of right lower leg, in second halfs of miles 2 and 4, which were walked.

Right foot/leg: Nothing significant.

Seems this continues the pattern wherein if the footwear is left the same as it was the previous run, there is improvement in terms of pain in arch of foot and lower leg.

Sunday March 29:

I ran the round the block course again (1st 3rd 5th miles run, 2nd 4th 6th miles walked). Style used: C, long & quick paces, stopping to record split-times (I had scheduled myself to use style F, long & quick paces not stopping to record split-times).

Time after 5th mile: 67:55 (102:00 - 34:05 subtracted for break-times = 67:55).

Pauses were due to: having to retreat indoors to pee, get a towel (it was raining during miles 3 and 4), get another sweatshirt after the first sweatshirt became wet; removal of layers of clothing; recording of split times & pains; tying shoes & sweatpant waistband.

For the entire 5 miles, I used the following chant (chanted in my mind not with my mouth/tongue):

'Long are our strides as we streamline the sky
Far is our distance per unit of time
(NEW) Our greatness of speed is famed in rhyme
Lord of Roads of Magnificence am I
Lord of Roads of Painlessness am I'

Before going out to run, for this first time since starting the running project that these runs are part of in Nov 2008, I stretched my legs using various stretching exercises. I did not walk around as a way of loosening up before starting the run.

Mile split times recorded: March 29 style A (long quick paces, pauses to rec split times), March 19 style E (long paces with pauses to rec split times, the day previous personal record set):

1st, run: 13:58, 15:27
2nd, walked: 13:03, 13:15
3rd, run: 13:57, 14:59
4th, walked: 12:57, 13:22
5th, run: 14:00, 14:32

Comparing March 29 to March 19, the run times declined much more than the walked times. March 15, I started tinkering around with a rotation involving different styles of running because I was frustrated by the lack of improvement in the run miles.

The amount of break-time was high at 33 minutes. But the first mile was my fastest ever since I returned to practicing long distance running in November 2008; there were only 3 minutes break-time in between the 4th and the 5th mile which was run in 14:00, 32 seconds faster than my previous fastest mile ever (not counting my fast miles of years ago); I did not feel as if the breaks had speeded me up.

Footwear in Left shoe:
SAME AS PREVIOUS RUN

8 m-wrap layers pad under heel +
lightweight removable sole that came with shoe +
foam/gel heel-to-toe insole +
16 layers m-wrap pad under big toe +
'toe bed' (forefoot gel pad for ball of foot and toes) +
16 layers m-wrap under ball of foot +
12 layers m-wrap pad under ball-of-foot & line between toes & ball of foot +
20 layers m-wrap pad attached to toe area of gel forefoot pad beneath big, index and middle toes +
8 layers m-wrap pad under middle & index toes +
40 layers m-wrap pad around sides and rear of heel
Adhesives: tape, not glue.
'Pretaping' type m-wrap used.
SHOELACES: medium tight on top shoelace, loose on other shoelaces

Footwear in Right shoe:
SAME AS PREVIOUS RUN

8 m-wrap layers pad under heel +
Lightweight removable sole that came with shoe +
foam/gel heel-to-toe insole +
'toe bed' (forefoot gel pad for ball of foot and toes) +
16 layers m-wrap under ball of foot +
8 layers m-wrap pad under big toe +
12-layers m-wrap pad under ball-of-foot & line between toes and ball of foot +
20 layers m-wrap pad attached to toe area of gel forefoot pad beneath big, index and middle toes +
16 layers m-wrap pad around sides and rear of heel
'Multipurpose' type m-wrap used.
SHOELACES: tight on top shoelaces, loose on others

The temp was on average 40 degrees with wind at avg 1 mph, rain at avg 0.1 inches per hour during the run (5th mile completed at 1:06 AM 3/27):
(http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/wxStationGraphAll?day=29&year=2009&month=3&ID=KMAWESTO6&type=3&width=500&showsolarradiation=1&showtemp=1&showpressure=1&showwind=1&showwinddir=1&showrain=1 )

'Twas a night-time run.

It was not raining when I started the run. I started wearing the lighter gray sweatshirt, long sleeved shirt made of t-shirt type material, t-shirt, sleeveless t-shirt, visibility vest, sweatpants, shorts, underwear, gloves, baseball hat.

This was too warm. After the first half-mile, I removed the baseball hat, and gloves. After the 2nd mile I removed the long-sleeved shirt made of t-shirt type material. For mile 4 that was walked, I put on a sweatshirt.

I ran miles 3 & 5 wearing only a t-shirt, sleeveless t-shirt, visibility vest, sweatpants, shorts, underpants; for mile 4 which was walked I added the heavier black sweatshirt. This was about right for the avg 0.04 inches-per-hour rainfall rate in the 41 degrees 3 mph wind in the night-time; but for the 6th mile walked at a leisurely pace, I put on the sweatshirt; I would have been too cold walking the 6th mile at a slow pace without the sweatshirt.

Advice to myself for the next run fotwear-wise: Same as that listed in the March 25 post (http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/03/74-minute-5-mile-run-march-25-using.html )

In accordance with the rotation entered into the blog-record March 15 (http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2009/03/76-minute-5-mile-long-length-paced-run.html ), run the next run, using style "A Medium-length-paced, emphasis on paces per minute, pauses to note split-times".

Chant to use:

'Great is our speed as we streamline the sky,
Many are our steps per unit of time,
Lord of roads of magnificence am I
Lord of roads of painlessness am I'

Running tactics/strategy

The previous run March 26, was according to my post-run notes, "my biggest step backwards in a long time". Strangely enough, this run was my biggest step forwards in a long time.

Possible causes of the superior performance March 29: stretching the legs before the run--for the first time since I got back into running around November 2008 I stretched my legs the way I was taught to in high school; two days of rest prior the day of the run; the new line added to the chant.

Looking at the improvement from March 19 when I set a personal record of 71:35 to March 29 when I set a personal record of 67:55, I will be at my goal of 55.2 minutes for the five miles, around May 8. This indicates an acceleration in the rate of improvement.

The rate of improvement March 29 to March 19 was about five times better than what 10k runners consider to be an excellent rate of improvement.

Things have not been what they have seemed to have been: the last few days, I felt as if I had stagnated and was not going to get any faster, but the rate of improvement March 19-29 turned out to be good; March 29 running using a high rate of steps per minute I did not feel like I was going as fast as I actually was.

Possible tactical innovation: stop every half mile for a four minute break, as a way of teaching the body to get out of the habit of running at a slow pace and to develop the habit of running at a faster pace.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC