Monday, May 29, 2006

Am I worth $100K per year?

I went over to my brother's apartment this evening. "Sal" short for Salvador was there. "Sal" has been getting job off these temp agencies, working for people like Computer Sciences Corporation, doing computerized book-keeping. Sal is a "certified book-keeper". The temp agencies have been getting him jobs paying $20 per hour.

Off the cuff without my reference materials at hand, I cooked up for Sal, a program that combines HTML CSS and Javascript to create a gambling program. Sal said that I was very good at this HTML/CSS/Javascript, he said I should be making $100 K per year. He also said I was a "very fast" typist. He said my doing the program for him was a great introduction to programming.

I tried to explain to Sal some of the fine points of the program I created off the cuff for him. The program returns a random number between 0 and 100. The user inputs a number between 0 and 100. The program keeps track of how off the user input is from the random number returned.

I was having difficulty explaining to Sal, that with the program, an adjuster number will eventually be required, because the closer to 50 the user input, the smaller the difference between the user input and the random number returned will be.

This is because, for example, if the random numbers returned are 25 and 75, if the user input is 50, the difference is (50-25=25) + (75-50=25) = 50, whereas if the user input is 0 and the random numbers returned are 25 and 75, the difference is (25-0=25) + (75-0=75) = 100.

I had some difficulty convinving Sal of this fine point, that with the random number being returned being between 0 and 100, the user will be closer to what is randomly returned, the closer he is to 50.

Sal had some trouble understanding. Maybe that is why he makes $20 per hour and says I should be making $50 per hour, after seeing the program I cooked up for him off the cuff.

Unbelievable, but the most I have ever made is $8 per hour. Chalk it up to the high number of ways in which Massachusetts types are prejudiced, and the intensity with which they hold such prejudices.





@2006 David Virgil Hobbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC