Thursday, April 28, 2005

An enlightened medieval monkish frame of mind at neo-gothic U of Chicago's International House

This month I had a chance to for a week, leave my apartment in the suburbs of Boston, and live in the International House at the University of Chicago for a week.

In the Boston burbs I live in an apartment that does not look at all neo-gothic on the outside, and is not at all neo-gothic on the inside. It is in a building two stories high with four apartments on each level. Where as I live as far as the eye can see, there is nothing neo-gothic.

By way of contrast, the International House at the U of Chicago is a big neo-gothic building around ten stories high not counting the tower; and I would guess it is almost a 50 yard by 100 yard block in horizontal dimensions. It looks truly hugely neo-gothic on the outside, and as a consequence it is neo-gothic on the inside, what with its spare, spartan one room apartments, from which you have to take a short walk down the hall to use the bathroom or take a shower. You can see plenty of huge U of Chicago neo-gothic buildings from the International House and its environs.

In the Boston burbs where I had been living, I had encountered these women who were extremely sexy and beautiful and hetero-sexually passionate who wanted to marry me, the Godiva Glamazon type, but, since off the bat I felt not love but lust for them, I had been feeling that I would never have love for these women, and so, therefore, they were not for me; and it had seemed to me that there was no hope that one day I could feel love as well as lust for such women.

But in the neo-gothic International House at the U of Chicago, I was sitting and lying down in my spartan room there, able to get into a frame of mind where it seemed to me that through the power of Christ and the Christian religion, it would be not too difficult to get to the point where I felt love as well as lust, or love without lust, for the absolutely sexy and very beautiful Godiva Glamazon type, regarding whom I had previously felt while in the Boston area, that it would be basically impossible to ever love them, simply because, unlike the unattainable rare ladies of the stratosphere, they these Godiva Glamazon type women, did not cause in me an almost instantaneous reaction of love for them.

While and after staying in my monk's-dwelling-like room at the International House in the University of Chicago, I came to see how in the old days, men often had little choice regarding who they would marry, but nevertheless the Holy Scriptures reverenced by those who first in the middle ages designed and built the great neo-gothic type buildings, advised the preacher to teach men to love their wives; meaning that men who did not love their wives, were considered to be capable of by their own initiative, effecting changes in their lives and in their minds, with the end result that though they did not at first love their wives, they later were able to.

I thought of of how, way back when, in the times when the neo-gothic type buildings were first built, and in the times when the Holy Scriptures were frist written, men did not have the leisure and luxury of conducting their short lives as an endless procrastination of marriage, combined with an everlasting bachelor-ite pursuit of that rare female that instantaneously arouses in one feelings of spiritual electrification and/or emotional love.



@2005
David Virgil Hobbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC