Monday, December 15, 2008

Chant for Improving Everyday Life

I estimate that my rate of improvement in terms of speed over a six mile course involving alternating between walking a mile and running a mile, has been excellent; I estimate that a major factor in this has been that I have been while running and walking the course been chanting my running chant (http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2008/11/running-songs-songs-for-while-jogging.html). Today I invented a chant for every day life which I estimate will improve my performance in every-day life just as the running chant has improved my performance in running. The new every-day life chant is:

Every-day Life Chant

We never miss our fitness workouts
Nobody can say that we're a lout


Chaste are we in our bodies and minds

At least we're not the perverted kind


We don't smoke cigarettes

We aim to be the best


Early to bed early to rise

Makes us happy healthy and wise


We don't smoke too much pot

or we just smoke it not


I'm an economic superstar

A social superstar who'll go far



The running chant as of now is:

Running Chant

Long are our strides as we streamline the sky
Many are our steps per unit of time

Lord of roads of magnificence am I

Lord of roads of painlessness am I



For the past twenty days, every day I did the six mile jog-walk; this involves me non-stop, jogging the first mile, walking the second, jogging the third, walking the fourth, jogging the fifth, and walking the sixth mile. On about day 10 I started jogging on the sidewalk instead of on the rubber outdoors circular track. Some day near the first day I did this I counted myself at 101 minutes after the fifth mile; then for about a week I was slower than this on the sidewalk course; then finally yesterday on the 20th day I was down to 98 minutes after the fifth mile.

The running on the sidewalk instead of the rubber outdoors track was a shock to my body, I estimate the major reason for the regression in terms of speed; after about the third day of this I bought some insoles from CVS to put into my sneakers to soften the shock. Thus now after ten days on the outside track I have improved my time by 3 minutes. We won't know until I go back to the rubber track how much the rubber track time has improved but I estimate there has been very significant improvement.

Compared to my improvement rate of 0.3 minutes per day on the outdoors course, my investigation of the subject re what is a good rate of improvement in the 10k (10000 meters, 6.2 miles race) shows that an improvement rate of 0.04 minutes per day only, is considered excellent in the track and field world (http://www.aspserver444.qsh.eu/10k.htm). True, a one minute improvement for those serious track guys out there who have been running the 10k for years and run it fast is a bigger percentage improvement than a one minute improvement for me; but even accounting for this difference one could say that my rate of improvement is much higher than what the track and field world considers to be excellent; and I am sure such will still be the case after I have measured my times when I return to the rubber track.

I attribute my high rate of improvement to the (recently revised) running chant that I invented (http://davidvirgil.blogspot.com/2008/11/running-songs-songs-for-while-jogging.html). This chant IMHO produces a speed that is high taking into account my current level of fitness and muscular strength in terms of muscles used for running.

At first I chanted the chant only during the miles that I ran, not during the miles that I walked; for a long time my walked miles were slow. Then I started to chant the chant during the walked miles and noticed an immediate increase in speed over the first five miles of the five mile course (I time after five miles because I end up doing things like buying groceries and snacks while walking the sixth mile).

Noticing how the chant seemed to be effective for running, I got to thinking, could a similar chant be effective for every-day life?...I sat down at my desk and wrote out the chant for every-day life. My estimate is that memorizing this chant and reciting it during the day, combined with humble prayers (to balance the pomp of the chants), will produce improvement in every-day life just as the running chant has produced improvement over the running/walking course.


@2008 David Virgil Hobbs

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SM
GA
SC